Another feature request

Next
How about 1-Click woodworking joints. And not only for wood.

A vortex/twist/swirl function would also be nice but I know this is hard to do with nurbs.
Very useful for tire treads.

And one more: Boolean difference with the option to keep the cutting object.

Instancing?

Well and of course dimensions and a coordinate system ;o) But that's too obvious.

A "Back" viewport if that makes sense.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2695.2 In reply to 2695.1 
Hi s7r83dg3,

> How about 1-Click woodworking joints. And not only for wood.

I'm not entirely sure if I know what this one is (do you want to show an example?), but I do plan on making a mitered corner mechanism for one-rail sweep which may handle what you are getting at here... This one won't be ready for the next v2 beta but I do intend to work on it before finishing up v2.

> A vortex/twist/swirl function would also be nice but I know
> this is hard to do with nurbs.

Yeah unfortunately it will take a fair amount of time before I'll be able to make this one possible.

> And one more: Boolean difference with the option to keep
> the cutting object.

I've had this one on my list for a while, I'll see if I can include it for the next v2 beta.

> Instancing?

It's definitely on the list for the future. But it will also be quite a bit of work so it is hard to know when this one will happen.

> Well and of course dimensions and a coordinate system ;o)
> But that's too obvious.

Dimensioning is another one that I want to add in the future - for "coordinate system" do you mean a method for locating the drawing plane at a different location? If so then that is available in the current v2 beta by using View / Construction Plane. That lets you relocate the drawing plane to a new location and also optionally relocate the Top/Front/Right views to be temporarily views of that local area rather than the regular world orientation.

> A "Back" viewport if that makes sense.

You can get the reverse views currently by clicking the viewport tab a second time.

For example to get the Back view, click the Front tab once to set it active, then click it again while it is active and it will toggle between the forward or reverse view. That applies for Top/Bottom, Front/Back, and Right/Left.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2695.3 In reply to 2695.2 
The mitre joint is one of them ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking_joints
These kind of joints. I don't know the english word for plastic / steel joints. Actually I don't even know the word in my own language ;-)

With coordinate system I simply mean a little x/y/z symbol so I know where is the Y axis. Sometimes my viewport is so crowded and when I zoom in, with a construction plane active I loose my orientation.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2695.4 In reply to 2695.3 
Hi s7r83dg3,

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodworking_joints
> These kind of joints.

I do expect to get the mitre joint working for one-rail sweep.

But many of those other kinds of joints are probably not going to be easy for me to add for some time.

You may want to look for some software that is more exclusively focused on woodworking only to get a lot of those kinds of joint functions built in, many of those are kind of specialized things. MoI is intended to be more general purpose and is not so focused in on just one kind of modeling...

> With coordinate system I simply mean a little x/y/z symbol so I
> know where is the Y axis.

There's an option for showing a coordinate system icon, which you can enable under Options / View / Show axis icon. That will show a little x/y/z triad in the lower left corner of the viewport that shows the world axis directions in relation to your current view.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All