OT - Modo 401 in two days.
 1-20  21-25

Previous
Next
2693.21 In reply to 2693.19 
I'm no expert on MoI yet, but let me tell you how I set up the MoI file that seemed to work fine when imported into modo as far as assigning materials goes:

- In MoI, I would select one or more objects that I wanted to assign the same material to, then click on a color swatch in the "Styles" palette (say Green).
- Then I would click on the "unnamed" item in the properties sheet in the top right hand corner of the MoI window and enter a name for the items in the pop-up dialog that appears (e.g. "foo").
- Then I would export a .obj file (e.g. "MoI_test.obj") and import it into modo.

When I imported the .obj into modo, I observed the following:

- In the modo "Items" list, there would be a group with the same name as the .obj file I imported (i.e. ""MoI_test").
- Inside the group would be a modo mesh with the name "foo" containing the set of MoI objects I had called "foo".
- In the "Shader Tree" tab, there would be a material called "Green", corresponding to the MoI "style" I had assigned to the items.

My guess is that you did not assign your MoI objects a MoI "style", which means they probably all ended up using the default modo Shader Tree material. So all the drag and drop stuff you did in modo was probably just replacing the same material over and over. Just a guess though.

Hope that helps...

Dave Morrill
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2693.22 In reply to 2693.21 
Hello there,

No problems here either as far as you prepare you surface as style.
That's having said I havn't work yet on complex scene.

>OSTexo

As Michael said, feel free to up your modo scene or example, I can have a look at it.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2693.23 In reply to 2693.22 
I can't reproduce this either. If you upload a scene I'l take a look as well, many head make better bug hunt :-)

Might be useful to post a step by step of your workflow too.

Regards
Tony

(aka HamSoles)

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2693.24 In reply to 2693.21 
Hello Dave,

Thank you very much, that did the trick. I was importing from different files and will investigate a little further how 401 is organizing (or trying to) so as not to allow the drag and drop when importing from multiple files. Even after backing to square one and starting to apply materials using this it didn't want to work. If I find out anything I'll post it here. Again, thanks for your help, your workaround works perfectly.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
If you import mesh items with no materials in Modo, everytime you drag and drop a material from the presets, it will replace the current material for all objects.
So as already mentioned you can apply styles in MoI. The various styles will become materials in Modo and you can then drag and drop other materials from the presets on individual objects (or polygon sets).

The other solution is to select the various items and assign them a different material (one for every item). To do this, select your item in "item mode" and press "M". You can then drag and drop various materials on your objects.

By default, everytime you drag and drop a material on an object, the previous material will disappear from the shader tree. If you want to keep the "old" material in the shader tree, press Shift while you drag and drop.

Hope this helps
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-25