3D Coat v3 released
 1-14  15-34  35-38

Previous
Next
2677.35 In reply to 2677.28 
"@WillBellJr

Normals map and diplace are really different.

You can 'bake' an high res model over a lowres one. N-gones should not be a problem, but I never tried that.

You can use a software like x-normal (http://www.xnormal.net/1.aspx), where you can import a low res object, an hires one, and transfer the details as a normal map.
However, I'm not sure if x-normal will load the MoI .obj with the right vertex normals info. If not, then the result will be really bad.

More less every 3d package can do this normal transfer now, the only problem is to import the high-res model. (x-normal is really optimized to import huge highres models).

For the displacement it's an other story, because your base mesh has to be ready to be subdivided with a clarmull-clark kind algo. So you really have to prepare this base mesh carefully (-> sds/poly modeler)."

Hi PaQ, yes, I realize the normals and displacements are different, I just lost track of the fact that for displacements, you need to be able to dynamically subdivide the model as you're working - so ngons from MoI at that point wouldn't work all that well.

I see however that I am able to get my models into ZBrush now using this high-tri export technique.

Thing is now, I have to reacquaint myself with ZBrush again since it has sat dormant, and out of my workflow for a while. :-P

With 3D Coat, the pixel painting import works fine also - I'm just waiting to see now whatelse ZBrush 4 is going to bring to the table.

The biggest thing I've been waiting for is MoI's export of surface assignments!

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.36 In reply to 2677.35 
Hi Will,

> The biggest thing I've been waiting for is MoI's
> export of surface assignments!

That's actually what I've been working on all this week... It's still in progress but it is looking good!

There will be an update to use both object names and style assignments.

You'll be able to control clustering of mesh output by having the same name on multiple objects. Like if you assign the same name to several objects, when you export to OBJ they will get clustered as one mesh object in the OBJ file, or as one mesh layer in an LWO file.

Then style assignments come through as material assignments in OBJ, or as surface assignments in LWO.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Not 3dcoat related but still on topic IMO.
:exports from rhino. obj, without chamfer and in Mudbox refine surface with subdivide selection:

also Tom Finnigan (tsplines founder) said
(I'm working on a T-Spline to SubD converter, which should work great with mudbox. It's still in an early state, but should be helpful.

I'm currently working on improving performance in 2.1, but I think I should be able to get it into 2.1 as well.

In the meantime, Juan's suggestion will work pretty well.)

http://www.tsplines.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=29265

EDITED: 22 Oct 2010 by NEO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2677.38 In reply to 2677.37 
As 3d Coat import OBJ absolutly no problem to import OBJ object (ngones) from Moi and tranform it in Voxels for crazzy images!
(here "voxels" (not polygons) Conceptual image of course :)

EDITED: 27 Jun 2009 by PILOU

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-14  15-34  35-38