3D Coat v3 released
 1-20  21-38

Next
No subdivision, no Polygon, only ultima speck !
The Voxel concept!
Amazing! Mac Pc (DirectX Opengl Cuda 32 64 bit)
http://www.3d-coat.com/news3_0.html

Model by Tree321

Ps Exist in French (because I have made the translation of the UI ;)

You can make also some straight things without problem ;)
Sculpt Model by Erklaerbar (render is not 3D Coat)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.2 In reply to 2677.1 
>>Amazing! Mac Pc (DirectX Opengl Cuda 32 64 bit)

Whaaaaaaaaaaat.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.3 In reply to 2677.2 
As number two owner of the first version I am just amazed at this genius.
The speed in which he developed and, almost within minutes it seems, satisfied user ideas, leaves me incredulous.

One of the great highlights of my life-----and thanks Pilou, it was through you I was introduced to it.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.4 In reply to 2677.1 
I loaded that app awhile back. Couldnt work in it for more than 30 minutes without getting a headache!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Id agree with Burr, I have also tried it in the past and got quite frustrated with it not to mention the unsofisticated UI. I think he has improved the UI but still looks a bit naff and uber cluttered IMO. Undoubtedly powerful though. Wish BP would take on some of its features, even for simple mapping. Maybe I should give this version a go.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.6 In reply to 2677.5 
Having some hard time to learn this peace of software too, there are tons of functions for sure, but 3dcoat looks like some kind of inhouse software target for inhouse people.

Voxels are cools, really, but I can't do anything close to zbrush, thinness speaking, it's hard to describe ... probably the way sculpting tools react I don't know.

I'll give other tries for sure, mostly for the retopo and the poly painting ... until GoZbrush is out :P
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
A funny function : draw curves with 3D Objects ;)
My first test: it's voxels, very flexible

EDITED: 10 Jun 2009 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
ZBrush 4 looks like an amazing upgrade (free for all registered users)

GoZ http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=71414

Spotlight and Lightbox http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=071829
here is an example showing what I would like to achieve (look @ the sofa not the girl)

so let say I have design a sofa in MoI and then I want to export to 3d-Coat or ZBrush to add some "life" to it, add stitches, Creases etc. the question is which one of the two make better use of exported geometry from MoI?

Image Courtesy of sdmolyne

EDITED: 22 Oct 2010 by NEO

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.9 In reply to 2677.8 
Both can do that you want ;)
Say your have 2 crazzy products but one is 2.5 costless ;)
If you are a professionnal Zbrush is yet and will be indispensable
If you are a hobbyst 3DCoat is sufficient

Best is of course have both ;)

But If you have no money, Blender + Sketchup are the must ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.10 In reply to 2677.8 
Hi neo,

Well I can only talk about Zbrush here, and my reply will not please MoI users I suppose, but MoI is not the right tool for that kind of work, at least if you want to get this amazing result.

The workflow for that high quality model is to build the sofa in a poly modeler software, using subdivision surface technique. When the cage object is ready, you need to create super clean uv's for it, then export everything in Zbrush, adding the details, capture those details by computing a displacement map in zbrush, and finally apply this displacement map on your object, in a rendering software of you choice, using mico dislpacement technology.

All the details are added at rendertime (little memory footprint). So you can easily render 10.000.000 - 15.000.000 micro-polys for the sofa while the opengl viewport have to deal with only 5.000 polys.

MoI can generate nice mesh, but you can't apply subdision on it without destroy the model (remember, the best sculpting method is to import a low res poly model in zbrush, subdivide it, sculpt it, subdivide it, scuplt and so on ... this multi-res sculping method give you the best results ...) . A solution is to tesselate the model quite a lot at the export, using the 'divide larger than' option to have a regular meshing result, but then you are dealing with a big 'base' mesh allready ... it's not very handy to sculpt on it, uv's are a nightmare to deal with. And if you manage to get a nice end result in zbrush, but good luck to export and use that huge mesh in an other 3d package.

EDITED: 10 Jun 2009 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.11 In reply to 2677.10 
< but good luck to export and use that huge mesh in an other 3d package.
Now Zbrush has the best decimation of polygons file existing!
Decimation Master (more Centimation master as you win a factor 100 !
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=071265
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
I think what Paq is eluding to is that the model has to be >subdivision friendly< for it to get into ZBrush.

A lot of my Moi models could never make it into ZBrush (or 3D-Coat previously) to use the wonderful toolsets contained within.

Fortunately now, 3D-Coat has an excellent retopo toolset and the "import for pixel painting" function where you can get your mechanical models in without them becoming mushed.

Whether ZB4 will work with ngons better, I don't know but if your models don't look good after subdivision then ZBrush as it stands now, is not a tool that you'll be able to use much.
(Unless of course Michael can create that ever-elusive all quads exporter!)

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.13 In reply to 2677.10 
Hi PaQ, just one thing to keep in mind is that not everyone uses ZBrush for exporting to a rendering program - some people want to generate STL data to produce a physical model.

> And if you manage to get a nice end result in zbrush, but good
> luck to export and use that huge mesh in an other 3d package.

When you're trying to create a physical model, you absolutely need to export the huge frozen mesh data directly to the CAM or STL software, because it does not know anything about sub-d or render-time only methods at all, it only knows how to deal with direct geometry.

So for this type of use, you just cannot rely on a render-dependent workflow like you were describing.

When using this physical-model based approach, you can get good results by using "Divide larger than" at export time from MoI to get a finely diced up base mesh, and make sure to use "Export: Quads & Triangles" as well, since ZBrush does not handle n-gons properly (it just converts them to triangles by connecting all points of the n-gon to a single centroid point, which give you a bad result if the n-gon is concave).

Using this method can definitely work with great results - I demonstrated it specifically in this previous post:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=804.26

Also another example from a user:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1045.1

The sword and shield in that last link were created in this exact manner, and as you can see it is a great result - small details such as the knurled handle and embossed bits of the shield were added in ZBrush on top of the base object that was created in MoI.

You can see his final physical model result here:
http://www.3d-miniatures.com/tiki-browse_image.php?galleryId=1&sort_mode=created_desc&imageId=56&scalesize=o

So I definitely don't agree that it is an automatically bad decision to use MoI and ZBrush in combination with one another, there are a couple of examples there that specifically show how it can be a good combination especially for the right kind of target output where a heavy raw geometry result is actually required (STL/physical model generation).

But if your primary goal is to generate a "render displacement friendly" type output, with lighter base geometry, I certainly agree that target will not work with output from MoI into ZBrush because the MoI generated mesh is not suitable for use as a sub-d hull. Just keep in mind that not everyone has that exact same goal, some people are using it for physical model generation and not rendering.

- Michael

EDITED: 10 Jun 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.14 In reply to 2677.8 
Hi neo,

> here is an example showing what I would like to achieve

You mean you want to construct a sofa you can actually sit on in your living room?

Or do you mean you want to make a rendered image of a sofa?

Or do you mean you want to make a sofa figurine with an STL machine of a small sofa model?

Or do you want to cut a sofa object on a CNC?

Or do you want to make an long rendered animation with a sofa in it?

The methods you would use to get your result can be pretty different depending on which of these specific goals you actually have in mind - just saying you want to "achieve a sofa" is a bit too generic to really give specific advice.

> so let say I have design a sofa in MoI and then I want to export
> to 3d-Coat or ZBrush to add some "life" to it, add stitches,
> Creases etc. the question is which one of the two make better
> use of exported geometry from MoI?

Well, if your main goal is to produce a highly detailed rendering with an extremely high poly count, then you would probably want to look at not using MoI at all like PaQ mentioned and instead you would want to produce a Sub-d model + displacement map.

Basically if your target shape is completely covered in a lot of little tiny bumps and wrinkles, probably MoI is not really going to be the best tool for that kind of a job. You would want to look into a Sub-d modeler for that kind of a thing, they are focused on producing organic shapes like monster heads and things like that which have a lot of little tiny lumps and high frequency details in them.

I think your example there is more in the "lots of organic detail" type category (rather than more "mechanical base + some embossing"), so probably working from the beginning in one of those modelers that are focused much more entirely on that kind of shaping would be better for you here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.15 In reply to 2677.12 
Hi Will,

> (Unless of course Michael can create that ever-elusive all quads exporter!)

Well, one additional tricky thing is that even if I had that it would not necessarily be a universal solution.

When MoI generates a mesh, it creates the mesh vertices on your existing surfaces.

Even if the polygons were generated with an all-quad topology, if you then turned around and used those same quads as a sub-d hull and then did further subdivisions, your subdivided results are not going to follow the original NURBS surfaces directly, there would be a kind of additional "melting" or shrinking-down kind of modification happening.

That may be fine if you want a very melted kind of a thing, but I would not be surprised to see things like some bumps and undulations being formed that were not in the original NURBS model.

So it's just not at all certain that converting to an "all quad" polygon mesh would actually be completely equivalent to a seamless conversion to sub-d...

Of course it would certainly be useful in many situations though, I'm just not very confident it would be a totally magic conversion thing like it kind of sounds like you would expect.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.16 In reply to 2677.8 
Hi neo, just a bit more information...

> the question is which one of the two make better use
> of exported geometry from MoI?

Check out a recent discussion on the comparision here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2724

One thing that is pretty interesting about 3DCoat is its "voxel" mode, which works rather differently than a displacement map type method.

If I understand things correctly, when working in that voxel mode, it does not really rely on subdividing the base polygon geometry to add further details - instead basically the imported data will just "turn on" an initial set of voxels and then the imported geometry is not used anymore and you work with manipulating voxels only after that.

So when working in that new voxel mode in 3DCoat, there is probably not any advantage to having an initial sub-d model versus a MoI-generated model. In other words, that new mode of 3DCoat may be more generally friendly to MoI exported data.

When you are done manipulating things in the voxel mode, then it sounds like you convert it back into polygons by using the retopologizing tools.

That mode in 3DCoat is a pretty different way of working than ZBrush, and it may be an easier way to incorporate any kind of MoI model as the base object.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.17 In reply to 2677.8 
Also a tutorial for going from MoI to 3D Coat to Cinema4D is available here:
http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2166

That's just for painting and not sculpting but it may be useful.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Actually I'm surprised to see that all tris went into ZBrush that good! (I never saw that thread before!)

Certainly something to give a try!

Ultimately everything is a tri anyway it's just maintaining the wonderfully clean mesh from MoI upon import to other apps!

Maybe one day the 3D world will be all tsplines and we'll have the best of everything :-P

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.19 In reply to 2677.18 
Hi Will,

> Actually I'm surprised to see that all tris went into ZBrush that good!

It seems that ZBrush is able to handle high density data itself quite well, just make sure to turn off n-gons at export from MoI, and if you subdivide a MoI model inside of ZBrush, turn off the "smooth" (sub-d) subdivision option.

Also make sure you export a dense initial mesh out of MoI as well, using the "Divide larger than" parameter to dice up any big polygons.

I think the main issue is you need to worry more about what you are going to be doing with this model after you are done in ZBrush... If you are trying to make a bunch of characters for an animation for example, it is going to kill your animation program if you have 10 million polygons for each character.

If you know that you want to have a light sub-d cage + displacement map result out of ZBrush, then you would not want to use a MoI model to go into ZBrush since you won't get that kind of a result out the other end.

But if you know that you want to have a dense geometry final result, then it can work fine. You'll kind of want to watch how much subdivision you do so it doesn't get too huge with this method though. But it is feasible to add embossing detail to a basic object while keeping things more like 100,000 to 300,000 polygons rather than in the millions.

- Michael

EDITED: 10 Jun 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2677.20 In reply to 2677.10 
PaQ thanks for your reply, I'm aware of all that I was just hoping some kind of improvement have been done between Nurbs modelers and painting apps.
I just fund it counterproductive that I have to redraw a mesh with correct topology in top of the original is the worst part of the process in my opinion. So I wanted to know if anybody here use some different
approach.
Anyway within few lines you describes the hole process in a very informative way.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-38