La Couronne (for Pilou) ;-)
All  1-11  12

Previous
2659.12 In reply to 2659.11 
Hi David,

> Finally I changed the drawing to a no units system, and it
> was very quickly, without problems! :-)

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that if you switch to or from "no units", there will not be any scaling of your objects happening, so that will avoid the sudden spike in memory consumption that otherwise happens when your entire model is scaled into a new version and also has an undo entry created for it.

> and it was using about 500 mb of RAM (I have 2 Gb)

That's a pretty high amount of RAM being used - even when you have 2GB available, you can actually run out of available memory space at somewhat less than that for a couple of reasons - one is if memory is "fragmented" into many small bits and there is not any single large enough chunk available for a request that needs a single large block. It may help a bit to set your machine up with the /3GB switch which could help to make more address space open for MoI to use.

But what happens if you turn your display settings down?

That's the option in MoI under Options / View / Meshing parameters. What happens if you switch the "Mesh angle" parameter to 20 or 25 and uncheck "Add detail to inflections" before opening your heavy model, does it help to reduce the memory load?

Or do you mean you were at 500MB usage even with the display settings turned down to be coarser?

> About the balustrade...the problem is in the angle or number of
> polygons when I´m exporting the file.

I see - from the screenshot it looks like you have an area that there is fairly long but has a quite shallow curvature?

Such things don't really get meshed with more detail when you use only the angle parameter, unless you crank the angle to be pretty tight. Check out this previous post for another description of that:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2451.35

Instead of cranking the angle parameter down in this case, I'd suggest using the "Divide larger than" parameter to force some additional refinement of anything that is larger in size. For example try entering in a value of 1.0 (if that is what your grid is set to there) for "Divide larger than" - that will force any polygons that are larger than 1 unit in size to be subdivided, in addition to the regular angular measurement. That tends to help with large but shallowly curved pieces like I think you have there.

I could probably give you some more specific advice if I had the actual model to deal with, maybe if you are still running into problems could you send just that piece that is causing you difficulty to me at moi@moi3d.com so I can take a look at it? It tends to be difficult to make a very good diagnosis just from looking at a screenshot. But as far as I can tell, it is this "large but shallow" curvature issue, which can be dealt with by using that "divide larger than" parameter in addition to angle.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-11  12