add point snapping

Next
Another one for the wish list: can we have snapping work when adding points to a spline? Currently trying to add a point at the mid point of a spline and the mid point snap won't work, so just have to place it roughly then move it after, workable but seems like it could be better.

Cheers
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2644.2 In reply to 2644.1 
Hi Rob, I'm not sure about having all snaps just generally turned on as they normally would be.

For instance "Center" snap does not make any sense, and also "End" snap would be kind of bad since it would create control points stacked up in the exact same location which tends to cause problems later on.

But I think it should be possible to allow mid snap on lines though, I'll take a look.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks michael, helpful as ever.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2644.4 In reply to 2644.1 
Hi Rob, I was able to finish up a "mid" snap for the Add pt command today, so that will be in the next v2 beta.

There are basically 2 modes for Add pt, depending on whether you do it to a curve that has points on or whether it has points off.

If it has points on, then you can click on the dotted lines in between the points (the "hull") to add a point. Now when you have Object Snap turned on, there will be a mid snap available on the hull halfway between existing points.

Also you can do an Add pt on a curve that has control points turned off - this has a slightly different effect where it does what is called a "knot insertion" into the curve. At any rate, for line curves there will now be a "mid" snap available for this style of point insertion as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2644.5 In reply to 2644.4 
Hi Micheal,

New to moi 1 month user...like it :)

I add some problem to know if points are snap to a curve,
would it be interesting to have a circle over the points to see
that it's x,y,z snap on that curve ?

Another wish, a «view plan» that cut the working area in x, y,z to see inside objet à la
solidworks...

Thx TBahn
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2644.6 In reply to 2644.5 
Hi Tbahn, I'm glad that you like MoI!

> I add some problem to know if points are snap to a curve,
> would it be interesting to have a circle over the points to see
> that it's x,y,z snap on that curve ?

Actually you should already be seeing an indicator show up when you snap the point on there originally.

For example if you're drawing a curve, if the point that you are currently placing is snapped on to another object, there will be a tag displayed like "On", "End", "Mid", etc.. , like this:

After you have finished drawing an object, MoI does not really maintain the knowledge of what object it was snapped on to, so it is not really easy for me to change the display if you turn the points on later on.

> Another wish, a «view plan» that cut the working area in
> x, y,z to see inside objet à la

You mean what is sometimes called a "clipping plane", which cuts away pieces of objects in the display?

I'd like to add that in the future at some point, and it is on the wishlist (http://moi3d.com/wiki/Wishlist), but it may take some time before I'll be able to add that one, it will require a fair amount of UI to support it to manage the planes, etc...

Often times things that involve additional UI tend to be time consuming for me to add since I'm trying very hard to keep MoI have a kind of light feel to the UI, which is easy to lose if I just add too many things to it without carefully considering where they should go.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2644.7 In reply to 2644.6 
Thank you Michael !

As for the snapping point i will check that with more attention.

The "clipping plane" will be good idea... :), i will check the wishlist !

Anyway Moi3d is fun to drive, good job !

Tourlou

-TBahn
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All