Weird fillet (V2 Beta )

Next
Hey there,

Made this tape measure in Moi beta V2 and imported into Carrara 5pro to render.
* The shape is an extruded profile with a fillet edge.
* There is a concave surface on the fillet. (see attached jpg)
* I first saw this within MOI and remade the body.
* The second time through it looked OK in Moi and so I exported to Carrara.
* When I rendered in Carrara I find the same weird fillet as before.

* BTW, the surface in concave where the yellow meets the black piece. As it travels down towards the front the fillet corrects itself. Also, it is ONLY on this side. The fillet on the other side is correct and consistent all around.

Thanks,
-Dooki
Image Attachments:
Size: 41.6 KB, Downloaded: 119 times, Dimensions: 640x480px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2637.2 In reply to 2637.1 
Hi dooki, thanks for reporting this issue.

It's hard for me to tell what may be going wrong just by looking at a screenshot though - can you possibly upload the .3dm model file or e-mail it to me at moi@moi3d.com if you want to keep it private?

If I can examine the actual geometry it may help me to figure out what is going wrong.

If the fillet is correct on the other side then possibly one workaround for the moment would be to delete the bad fillet and mirror the other one over and join it in, which would then repair this model.

Or maybe I'm not quite understanding the problem - is the fillet constructed ok in MoI and you only see the problem in the exported mesh object? If so then that sounds like it may be a problem in the mesher rather than the filleter.

There are a lot of different possibilities for what could be going wrong, so seeing the actual model data would be a big help in figuring it out.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2637.3 In reply to 2637.2 
Thanks Michael!

I sent you an email with the file. I took another look and found that this fillet issue was on both sides. Before I exported I thought everything was OK. I guess it depended on the view. The attached image shows what I mean.
Image Attachments:
Size: 354 KB, Downloaded: 99 times, Dimensions: 761x631px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2637.4 In reply to 2637.3 
Hi Dooki, thanks for sending the file!

It appears to be some kind of error in the filleter when it tried to do an optimization of making an exact torus fillet piece rather than the general case fitted surface one. But it appears to have put an incorrect trim on it, or generated the torus shifted a little bit from where it is supposed to be because the trim edges are a little distance away from the actual underlying surface which is what makes for that strange result.

I've e-mailed you back a fixed up version where I deleted those particular bad fillets and used sweep to fill them in with some proper surfaces, I think that version will solve your immediate problem, please let me know if it doesn't.

Unless you happen to have a pre-filleted version of this, I'll have to try and deconstruct your object to see if I can reproduce the creation of the bad fillet. Sometimes it can be hard to kind of "unwind" back to that state though. But to really debug it I need to be able to trace through the steps that are happening when the fillet is being created, rather than only looking at the end result...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2637.5 In reply to 2637.4 
Thank you very much sir!

-Dooki