SAT export of spheres into Revit
 1-17  18-22

Previous
Next
2634.18 In reply to 2634.17 
Hi Michael!

Thank you very much for your help!

My last report..)

All those test sat files you provided except for one didn't get into my Revit correctly..

But I experimented with seams as you advised and out of 20 variants - 2 work fine for me now - and I found some rules to follow which seem producing predictable results

Also if I split the sphere into two parts rotate seems and boolean union those part back into sphere - it works fine as well!

Dgn sounds like a good alternative for sat in aec, although it is not yet understood if this format is superior to sat or inferior (in terms of ability to correctly transfer nurbs)
Hopefully 3dm finds its way into aec very soon, cause sat is so conditional (at times))

ps thanks to neo for help also!

Igor
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2634.19 In reply to 2634.18 
Hi Igor,

> All those test sat files you provided except for one
> didn't get into my Revit correctly..

Hmmm, that's strange - those same exact files do not all work for you?

I took those screenshots directly from the file imported for Revit (all the ones that were white in that previous message), so that is strange that all those examples worked for me but not for you...

Are we possibly using different ways to bring the data over?

What I did for those tests was to save as SAT from MoI (those SAT files in that spheretest.zip file were all generated that way), then to bring it into Revit I used Insert / Import CAD, which pulls up a dialog that lets me pick ACIS SAT Files as one of the file types to insert:

I just gave them a try again and once again did not have any problem reading in any of the files: test1.sat, test2.sat, test3.sat, or test4.sat .

But one note - the initial display after loading seems to be quite sparse, I did not get the enhanced wireframe view until I moved the mouse over the object and clicked on it to select it. That seems to draw the object in a somewhat better quality enhanced wireframe display. Those screenshots that I took were with the object selected so you could more easily see the additional edges that it displays when selected.

What are the results that you are seeing with those 4 test files - I mean what happens on the ones that don't work, do you get a dialog saying that SAT data cannot be read in, or do you get the temporary sparse wireframe that then becomes more detailed after you select the object?

Also which version of Revit are you using again? These tests that I was doing were with version 2010.

Thanks,
- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2634.20 In reply to 2634.18 
Hi Igor - also I'm attaching here the saved .rvt file from Revit after inserting each of those SAT files (the ones that I previously posted in the spheretest.zip attachment).

After loading the file into Revit, you should see this type of display initially:

Then if you select the objects, you will get the enhanced display that seems to go with selection, with some more edges displayed:

Also if you switch the View properties to turn shading + edges on, it looks like this:

Do you get different results than this?

- Michael

EDITED: 17 May 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2634.21 In reply to 2634.20 
Hi Michael!

I see you like revit))

Revit 2010 has indeed seen some improvement in sat importing (all the test files import correctly)
In 2009 as I wrote earlier - just one file imported correctly

The only point is 2010 was released a month ago and taking into account its other problems, no one is in particualr hurry to migrate to 2010.. So we here in 2009 (just like you I downloaded 2010 to check though)

But even in 2010 not everything is perfect (if you remember my first test files (fromMoi.sat) - still not imported correctly

So I think we may leave this topic for a while since I found a few workarounds (like 3 axis specific rotating) which make files importable into revit..

Ideally It would be good to have an exporter versatile enough to deal with such problems until autosesk introduces 3dm direct import..
(sort of what rhino has - with options for specific program sat output ie inventor, solidworks and so on - to counter possible problems)

All the same thanks for taking care of us - users!

Regards
Igor

EDITED: 18 May 2009 by IGOR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2634.22 In reply to 2634.21 
Hi Igor, yeah I guess that explains it - it seems that Autodesk has made a lot of fixes in the Revit SAT importer in version 2010.

If you need to work with imported data a lot, then I guess it would be a good idea to try to update to Revit version 2010 as soon as you can.

> But even in 2010 not everything is perfect (if you remember my
> first test files (fromMoi.sat) - still not imported correctly

Yes, even though it seems to be quite a bit better it looks like they need to continue to work on improving it...

Hopefully they will be able to make progress on the next version similar to the improvements they seem to have done between version 2009 and 2010.

> (sort of what rhino has - with options for specific program sat
> output ie inventor, solidworks and so on - to counter possible
> problems)

That SAT export option that you are referring to in Rhino doesn't really seem to actually do very much. It looks like they are meant to be kind of a "preset" that is a group of individual settings. But almost all of them have the same options set. From the Rhino help file (in the index look at "SAT file export"):
quote:

ACIS types

ACIS version: 4.0
curves are not exported
curve knots and surface knots are clamped
closed surfaces are split

ACIS Version 1.5

ACIS Version: 1.5
Exports curves
Curve knots and surface knots are clamped
Closed surfaces are split

ACIS Version 2.0

ACIS Version: 2.0
Exports curves

ACIS Version 3.0

ACIS Version: 3.0
Exports curves

ACIS Version 4.0

ACIS Version: 4.0
Exports curves

AutoCAD

Exports curves

Mechanical Desktop

Exports curves

Inventor

Does not export curves

Inventor does not read any ACIS object that is not a legitimate solid.

SolidWorks

Does not export curves

SolidWorks ignores anything that is not a surface or a solid.

So note that all options have "Closed surfaces are split" (which MoI does not do) and "Curve knots and surface knots are clamped" being set (which MoI will do also).

The only major difference between the application-specific options seems to be whether writing curves is enabled or not, that's it...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-17  18-22