unable to fillet

Next
Hello,

At first, congrulation to this piece of software. i love it.
but sometimes i have some problems with fillet. is there some trick or whatever? especially the front of the car is interessant. you can see that i could use fillet for 3 gaps but the 4th isn't working. same problem is the wheel house.

has anybody an idea what i'm doing wrong?
thanks in advance.

cheers
crydee

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.2 In reply to 2632.1 
Why not post the 3dm file parts that don't work?
It's more easy to answer :)

For the first seems it's symmetric so you can make a mirror of the good part ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
i uploaded my file. maybe somebody can tell me what is wrong with it.
thanks

crydee

EDITED: 13 May 2009 by CRYDEE

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.4 In reply to 2632.3 
Hi crydee...

Have you try face to face fillet ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.5 In reply to 2632.4 
yes i tried this as well, sometimes is working sometimes not. i guess there is something wrong in my workflow. usually i projekt a curve on a surface, trimm the surface and extrude the curve from the gap. then i join both surfaces, select the curve i want to fillet and hope....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.6 In reply to 2632.5 
What version of MoI are you using. THe bumper seems to fillet fine for me.

Also though, If you look at the lower right corner of the bumper curve, the fillet has to crunch up through this little bend. It can create problems sometimes. I think the approach to try and get is to make those cutouts flat and straight and let the fillet tool create the curvature.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.7 In reply to 2632.6 
For the fender I couldnt figure out why it wouldnt fillet, but I got a nice result with blend.

I deleted this tiny little fillet and then cut the outer curve with the cars broken surface to get even surface edges:

Then I could blend between them to get a nice curvature for the 2 areas.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.8 In reply to 2632.1 
Hi crydee, yes filleting does tend to be a rather finicky area. There have been quite a bunch of improvements in version 2 though, and like Burr mentions the first one that you show there seems to work in v2.

The second one is a bit difficult overall, one thing that makes it harder for the filleter is that the edges are split up into several segments:

You may need to use surface/surface filleting more for some of these situations when the edge structure is not simple. Surface/surface filleting is a different mode for the filleter that is activated if you select 2 individual unjoined surfaces and then do Fillet.

Another thing that you may want to try is Blend rather than Fillet - for Blend you would would cut things back to leave some open space between piece rather than setting them up to touch exactly. Then you select edges and use Blend to fill in the open area with a smooth surface.

Blend can tend to be used somewhat more often than Fillet for the kind of stuff that you are doing there.

EDIT: Burr beat me to it with the same message! :)

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.9 In reply to 2632.8 
thanks a lot mates,

i will try some points and hopefully will come up soon with my first car prototype done with moi.
@ michael
you did a fine job, this software is outstanding. i tried 3ds max, maya, lightwave but with this programm i can handle my workflow perfect. only the fillet thing is at the moment my problem but soone or later i can handle this.

all the best
crydee
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.10 In reply to 2632.9 
Hi crydee, thanks I'm glad you like MoI!

Yes, I also wish that fillet was able to handle more things - there are some improvements to it in v2 though.

The kind of project that you are doing there with a lot of more freeform surfaces curved in many directions (rather than mechanical stuff like extrusions and revolutions) tends to be more difficult stuff for the filleter to handle well.

Fillet in general is a quite complex calculation - it involves all kinds of offsets, intersections, extensions, surface/surface trimming, etc... Because it involves so many complex calculations, it can tend to be rather fragile, if any one of those calculations has a problem it can interfere with the fillet being created properly.

If you can reduce the complexity of your inputs to the filleter, like not having more edges than necessary, trying to avoid ripples in surfaces, trying to have only the smallest number of surfaces instead of a lot of fragments, stuff like that can help to a certain degree.

You may generally want to use Fillet more in areas that have more simple structures to them, more like you had in the bumper area.

In areas that are kind of broader flowing portions, often Blend can be kind of better to use in those situations.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.11 In reply to 2632.10 
thanks micheal for your advice,

i'll try to implement your advices into my project. at the moment i'm trying to build a complete car, because i think if i'm able to do that then i can almost create everything...
yesterday i finished my first rims and i had no problems :)

i come from the poly by poly modelling area but now i'm working for a car manufacturer and i'ts a lot better to model with splines. i evaluated different softwarepackages but the best results from the start i can achieve with moi. hopefully next week my company will purchase a license...

and then nobody can stop me :)

have a nice weekend.

cheers
crydee

EDITED: 15 May 2009 by CRYDEE

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.12 In reply to 2632.11 
Hi Crydee.....

> i'm working for a car manufacturer
What is the purpose of your final 3D car model ?
It will interesting if you can tell us your workflow ?

BTW, your initial car & rim looks very good :)

- Anis
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.13 In reply to 2632.12 
@ Anis,

the purpose for my 3D car model ist at first to learn how to model with nurbs. I come a long way from polygon-modelling.
It's totally different.

In my job I create virtual simulation of complete next generation cars. Usually I get the model from a designer, but sometimes I have to fix some wip-datas. And I have to model the whole enviroment for my simulations(there is alot to do if you want to have a nice showroom). Nurbs modelling seems to me the better way to create technical objects... so i have to learn it.

Second reason. me and a workmate want to create a own virtual simulated car from the scratch... So I have to model at first:)

What kind of question do you have to my workflow. I'm glad that I could create a rim but this was my first and you can imagine how crazy my workflow was :)

Cheers
Jan

EDITED: 18 May 2009 by CRYDEE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.14 In reply to 2632.13 
Hi Jan....

> In my job I create virtual simulation of complete next generation cars.
So then after you create all 3d models in MoI, where do you create the virtual simulation ( which software ) ?
Because today there is no simulation tools inside MoI.

Cheers !!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.15 In reply to 2632.14 
hi Anis,

thats true, we tesselate our datas with deep exploration(a brilliant tesselator). After that we import all datas into a programm it's called Dione(www.dssd-42.com). If you look on the website It seems not to be a masterpiece but this software is outstanding. I'm doing virtual simulations since 7 years but I never achieved such results.

If we are ready with the simulation it's like a game and you can use everything(displays, user interfaces, ...) in the car, even drive and react to other cars from the simulation. You can use shader, hdri to make it look real. It's a nice package.

Problem is that all my simulations are for next car generations. So I can't show it or build my own portfolio. So I have to build my own car. --> best solution MoI :)

Have a good day
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2632.16 In reply to 2632.15 
Hi crydee....

Why you not create the animation use software like 3DS Max or Modo ?
Is it not possible use both of those software ?

Thanks !!!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2632.17 In reply to 2632.16 
Hi Anis,

sorry that I answer so late. We simulate the whole car, including envirroment and other cars. We can't use prepared animations, because in our simulation the cars react to the enviroment and the driver input(like in a real car).
For example the front car is braking and then our car is braking too or not, depending if acc is activated from the driver and so on. It's a complex virtual realtime simulation and you can use all future features of next car generations.

Cheers.

crydee
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All