Wishlist

Next
My little wishlist for moi :
- Have Moi display somewhere which file is open.
- When opening a file and saving it as another format it includes the original filename (with new extension) as the name.
- Batch file converter built in
- Preview window in file open/save dialog box

-Philip

btw, Really loving the new beta!
The new browser really speeds up the workflow :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2595.2 In reply to 2595.1 
Hi Philip, I'm glad that you are liking the new beta! That is great that the new browser is useful already.

re: wishlist - actually the first 2 items on your list are already in there.

> - Have Moi display somewhere which file is open.

This is displayed when you open a 3DM file (3DM is MoI's "native" file type that can contain all the information that MoI uses) in the upper right area of the window, here:

Also you can pause your mouse on top of that to see the full path like this:

Opening up some other type than .3dm does not set the current filename, which is intentional since other file types do not store 100% of the information that you may create in MoI. For example an AI file can only hold 2D curves and not any 3D data.

If other file types became the current filename when they were opened, it would just be too easy for you to lose data when you hit the "Save" button.

> - When opening a file and saving it as another format it includes
> the original filename (with new extension) as the name.

This one is also working currently, here is what you should be seeing:

When you do a SaveAs, the file dialog will be initialized to hold the current file name:

If you switch the drop-down to a different format, like here I pick OBJ format:

Then the original file name is modified to have the new extension like you were asking:

Do you see something different from these behaviors on your machine?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2595.3 In reply to 2595.2 
Never noticed that it displays the filename... probably because I have been doing a lot of file conversion and I import each file to a blank Moi scene.
(so it obviously wont show the file name when it hasnt been saved.. whoops!)

>Opening up some other type than .3dm does not set the current filename, which is intentional since other file types do not store 100% of the information that you may create in MoI. >For example an AI file can only hold 2D curves and not any 3D data.
>If other file types became the current filename when they were opened, it would just be too easy for you to lose data when you hit the "Save" button.

ah, makes perfect sense now :)
I usually import other file formats anyway so that I don't save over them - in most applications; but I think that is because they force you to import instead of open a different format.

Thanks Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2595.4 In reply to 2595.3 
Hi Philip, no problem!

Yes other applications can sometimes use those terms "Open" and "Import" slightly differently where different file types are supported between them, with Open only being used for the native file type and Import for bringing in any non-native file type.

In MoI it is not quite like that - in MoI the main difference between these 2 options is the behavior of what is done with any previously existing data.

In MoI "Open" means to discard any current model data and only have the newly read in stuff present. You can do that to any file type but the current file name (which is the file that will be written if you push the "Save" button) is only set when you open a 3DM file.

"Import" on the other hand in MoI means keep any existing data in place and merge newly read in stuff to the current model data. Import does not set the current file name since it is meant to add to the current file rather than replace it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All