Indicators for open curves

Next
Hi Michael,

I relatively frequently stumble upon the problem of curves where i cant tell easily why those arent closed. This for instance happens if one offsets a closed curve. The resulting curve often is an open one. The only way to fix this as far as i understand is to move around every single vertex of the curve to find the open part. This obviously is an enourmously tideous thing to do. So it would be awesome if you could provide us with some visual indicator of the first and the last vertex of a curve. (Apart from maybe fixing that offset thing. ;) )
A related thing would be that solids sometimes break on operations like creating fillets for me and as a result turn into joined surfaces. Trying to spot the area where the solid broke to fix this seems to be pretty much impossible to me. But i understand that implementing a visual indicator for this is probably alot harder to do ...

Sebastian

EDITED: 16 Apr 2009 by PAOKI

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2579.2 In reply to 2579.1 
Hi Paoki,
You will surely get a response from Michael, but I thought I could input also. If you do an op on a solid and it turns into a "joined surface. This script can help you find the culprit. It's called "get Naked Edges" and its a good help for this.

moi.geometryDatabase; gd.deselectAll(); var breps = gd.getObjects().getBreps(); for ( var i = 0; i < breps.length; ++i ) breps.item(i).getNakedEdges().setProperty( 'selected', true );

Also a temp help for you to find the break in your curve could be to launch the "extrude command and look at the suface popping out. There should be a line at the break points. You could then zoom to that area pretty quick with the zoom area tool.

Anyway.....2 Cents.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2579.3 In reply to 2579.1 
Hi paoki, yeah the script that Burr shows there is the one that you can use to select/highlight edges that are not joined, that should show you what spots are open on a joined surface that are preventing it from being a closed solid.

At the moment there is nothing similar available for curves, but I will add in a method for the next v2 beta so that a script will be able to mark the start/end point of open curves with a point object, that should help to make it possible to set up a keyboard shortcut that will mark those areas for you on curves.

In the future I do want to have some more convenient ways to display these things, like there will probably be something under the "View" palette for displaying naked/unjoined edges in a certain color but I'm not quite sure when that one will happen.

But for now that select script will get the job done for surfaces, and with the next beta it will be possible to have a similar one for curves.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Okay, thanks for the help. :) Looking forward to the curve thing. Until that is going to happen I will just try to regard the hunting for the open area as little breaks where I can turn off my brain for a few mins while working. ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All