Making pipes

Next
Hi!

I'm trying to build a steampunk stylized mecha in MoI and I hit the following problem:

I've made a segment of the pipe using spiral tool and two rail revolve:

How I can make something similar along arbitrary curve?

Thanks!
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2556.2 In reply to 2556.1 
Hi Jacob - right now MoI does not have a method to construct a helix that is wrapped around a curve rather than wrapped around a straight line. I think that is what you would need to use the same construction method that you are currently using.

In the future I would like to make this work using 1-rail sweep. But right now it can be hard to make 1-rail sweep purposely twist things because there is a bunch of stuff in it that tries to prevent twisting by matching up the pieces between each pair of profile curves such that they have the most untwisted relationship to one another. That's because for more regular type of shapes twisting is usually not wanted.

However, it is possible to introduce twisting by using Loft rather than sweep, because you can adjust the "seam point" in Loft for how each section aligns. But that will probably be pretty tedious to adjust for many sections.

What is your end purpose for this model, is it for doing a rendering?

It can often times be better for rendering to instead apply this kind of bumping or knurling as a texture map rather than building it as actual geometry. For that approach you would just make a simple tube using a circle profile, and then apply something like a bump map or displacement map texture in your rendering program to give it that knurled look.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2556.3 In reply to 2556.2 
Hello Michael, thank you for the information!

Since MoI is my first foray into 3D field, I'm currently most focused on learning whatever I can about it - while I was expecting the 'no can't do' answer, I asked to make sure I did not miss some blatantly obvious modelling trick. :)

- Jacob
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael G. & Jacob,

Attached is MoI file that I was playing with to make a psuedo helix about a curve. I generated a 3D curve, put a triangle at one end and arrayed it along the curve. I then generated a second 3D curve through the corners of the triangles clocking to the next corner of each triangle until the end. Then I generated a couple of circles at the ends of the 3D curves and swept them. The tightness of the psuedo helix will be controlled by the number of triangles that are arrayed.

Hope this might help out.

Michael T.

Michael Tuttle a.k.a. mictu http://www.coroflot.com/fish317537

EDITED: 4 Nov 2010 by MICTU_UTCIM

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous