image location

Next
I was wondering if there was anyway to edit the path for referenced drawing aid images.

I noticed that it gives a hover "tooltip" of the files location, but either an option to save referenced images to the same location as the the current file, within that image dialogue, or a way to edit the path to the referenced images would be a nice addition.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2552.2 In reply to 2552.1 
Hi Burr - there is not currently any way to edit the path, right now you would instead insert a new image with your updated path and delete the old one.

But if you just want to move the image into the same folder as the .3dm file, you can just do that without editing any paths. When MoI opens a file with background images, it will first look for the image with its full path and if it does not find it there it will also look in the same folder as the .3dm file and get it from there if it finds it.

It would probably be a good idea to have some method to edit the path though, I can put that on the wishlist. Do you have any idea what kind of UI to use for doing that? One thing is the options panel for Background images is pretty well filled up with stuff already.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2552.3 In reply to 2552.2 
Setting up the images took time and so just re-picking new images was undesirable.

However, after you pointed out that the pictures in the same location actually moved with the file, this kindof handled it. I thought I tested this and it didnt work, but it does as you describe.

One way to enable editing the path would be to make the listbox item double clickable to open the opendialog for setting a new path. (though I dont find this behavior in MoI anywhere else).

I'll explore a bit and post back.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2552.4 In reply to 2552.3 
Hi Burr,

> Setting up the images took time and so just re-picking
> new images was undesirable.

One tip on this part - don't erase the old image until after you have drawn in the replacement.

The corners of existing images are available as snap points when drawing in a new image, so you should be able to snap in an image with an updated path right over top of the previous one. Then delete the old after you have placed the new one.

> One way to enable editing the path would be to make the
> listbox item double clickable to open the opendialog for
> setting a new path. (though I dont find this behavior in
> MoI anywhere else).

Yeah, I've tried pretty hard to avoid using double-click for sort of "main" functionality.

But I'm not necessarily against it for supplementary stuff, it seems like it would be a good thing to do in this case to avoid adding more visual stuff to the current UI.

I've added this to the wiki wishlist here: http://moi3d.com/wiki/Wishlist to keep track of it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All