Suggestions for sweep and loft operations -

Next
Michael, I start a new post so that anyone can add some useful ideas.

For sweep
Adjust using sliders the "pointy" effect. Need 2 sliders, one for each point, showing the persentage of the length from the end of the curve to the middle of the curve that the profile used will get smaller until it becomes a point. (Not well writen but I guess you can understand)
Have this as an option, your method will be very useful too. I just want to have the option to have a length with full dims of the profile, not just a cross section.

For loft.
So far, loft is what other apps (like 3dsmax) call blend.In Moi, blending works only between edge curves on solids, I can't see why. I would prefer lofting to be a series of closed curves and a path curve where I can construct a final solid using all of them as MAX does. it would be very useful for things that change dimensions or shape, smoothly from one shape to another along a path.I know that this means more parameters and calculation but if you can control them in real time, it would be a powerful command.
What we have to do with MOI so far, as I can understand, is to use many times lofting and blending but it is not easy and we have not much control.

I would like to hear everyones opinion on this.
Thank you
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
255.2 In reply to 255.1 
> I would prefer lofting to be a series of closed curves and a path curve

In MoI, the sweep tool gives you the ability to have multiple profiles along a path.

Maybe you could show an example of the loft in MAX so I could understand you better?

Did you see my other post about the auto-placement mode? This allows for putting the profiles down flat, where they are easier to edit for history updates - you should be able to see the changes in real time as you edit the profiles.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
255.3 In reply to 255.2 
>In MoI, the sweep tool gives you the ability to have multiple profiles along a path
Haven't tried that, I'll make a test, not sure how I can do this.
As for the MAX example, it's like this... Use a curve as a path, draw anywhere the profiles as you want, and then with a slider you can adjust the % or length of the path where each profile is used. For example at 0% use profile1, at 15% profle2, at 32% again profile1, at 85% profile3, and end with profile 2 at 100%.
Check the attachment, hope it's clear. I think it is not difficult for MOI to achieve this (if of course you agree it's better).
I guess this can be done with MOI too, but what I like is that it's only one command. And, due to history update in MAX, you can change the shape and the loft will be changed automatically.

EDITED: 27 Dec 2006 by JTB

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
255.4 In reply to 255.3 
> Haven't tried that, I'll make a test, not sure how I can do this.

Here are the steps - draw your path curve, then draw your profiles below it in a left-to-right order:

Select the profiles, run Construct/Sweep, then select the path curve. This will generate this result:

History is active on this sweep at this point, so you can edit either the path or any of the profiles and the sweep will update. Once you have finished editing it to the desired shape, select it and do Construct/Planar to cap off the ends and turn it into a solid.

> and then with a slider you can adjust the % or length of the path where each
> profile is used. For example at 0% use profile1, at 15% profle2, at 32% again
> profile1, at 85% profile3, and end with profile 2 at 100%.

I do plan on having something along these lines in a future version - for V1 I won't have this ready yet, the profiles will be evenly spaced when you use the "auto-placement" mode like this.

You can still control the spacing manually though - if you place the profiles so that they are actually on the path curve, then MoI will use them in that spot - so if you want to have profile2 at 15% of the way, you can move it there and rotate it perpendicular to the curve, and it will be used at that location.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
255.5 In reply to 255.4 
< you can move it there and rotate it perpendicular to the curve
Yes that works but no very confortable :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All