Translation Handle
All  1-9  10-16

Previous
Next
2525.10 In reply to 2525.9 
So you're trying to figure out one like the NX or SolidEdge one without being so intrusive?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2525.11 In reply to 2525.9 
Hi Burr, well that is an interesting idea to maybe flip that viewport control panel to have some other alternate function. Maybe in the future there will be something else that would fit for that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2525.12 In reply to 2525.11 
After looking at the Solid Edge 3d Manipulator, the way they deal with it is to have it "appear" just to select what mode it will perform, then it disappears while the function is performed, Then the mode ends. It seems like it may fit.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2525.13 In reply to 2525.12 
Hi Burr, yeah if you hit a button which then triggered a mode where after that you then picked points in the viewport that could work to provide the accuracy.

But I'd certainly like to avoid needing to have extra button clicks if possible.

In MoI with the 2D edit frame you don't have to click a button to enter into "scale mode" for instance, it is something that is just automatically available to you since those edit frame grips show up after you do any selection, without you having to go to a button and trigger a "scale mode" or "rotate mode", etc...

Instead if you want to scale, you go to the scale grip and drag it. If you want to rotate, you go to the rotate grip and drag it.

It's quicker to have things available immediately rather than with additional button presses, so it would be good not to lose this advantage.

Here's an example of that in action - here I'm doing scaling, moving, and rotation all in rapid sequence without clicking any buttons or typing any keys to enter special modes, it is all done just by clicking and dragging on the various grips (or on the object or points directly for moving):

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2525.14 In reply to 2525.13 
I really like the edit frame and I suppose the issue is how to enable it on a 3d object in the 3d viewport, which is something left to you. It would be cool to have that on solids in the 3d viewport also.

It seems like the obstacle would be "whats its reference point to the selected object or group?" Which you have discussed with me before. I would think that the only real "solution" would be to have that be "definable", so like with the "hotpoint" we have discussed, It's arbitrary position doesnt produce accuracy, but having it Movable or settable, like the rotator hotpoint would make it a useful, accurate tool.

So, the 2d edit frame with an added Origin snap, could be good. I guess what would still be limiting is how the frame is applied to odd or grouped shapes. Possibly a world coords "6 sided box" although I dont know how to follow that through to find the limitations.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2525.15 In reply to 2525.14 
I guess I already get that with split view!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2525.16 In reply to 2525.14 
Hi Burr, yeah the split kind of gives that since you see multiple 2D boxes at once.

But yes it would be good to be able to have something similar that worked on objects with volume in the 3D viewport for when you want to work in just that view maximized.

Hopefully in the future I will be able to work out some of the issues but they seem pretty tough.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-9  10-16