Construction history wish..

Next
I ´ve been looking at lots of tutorials now for some time also for other programs
to simply learn how to better use Moi 3d and theres one wish that i have for the future of
the program that it keeps the construction history and that steps can be updated and result
in a modified end result(when i do a boolean operation the loft that I made before had a construction history and is broke through the boolean op.).I know this isnt that easy and isnt going to happen over night but thats
something that would make designing things easier...... and basically thats one of the targets for Moi3d I think
To sit down and start to design with an easy to use tool(which it is and I love it for..)
Any thoughts ?
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2517.2 In reply to 2517.1 
Well I'm not sure, if it's to fight with a history list of thousands of commands, I don't think it's really handy.

In an other hand, if the history is not too much intrusive, and let doing stuff like undo fillets on the fly, or undo booleans ... that will be really great ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
It would be more like being able to set history points to that you can jump back to and make changes so the functions after that get updated automatically.....
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2517.4 In reply to 2517.1 
Hi Peter, yup I do have quite a few ideas on improving history in the future. But yes it will take quite a bit of work to make it happen so I'm not quite sure exactly when... I hope to dedicate a chunk of time to it in the v3 timeframe.

I had earlier hoped to make some progress on it for v2 but it does not look like that will be possible since other areas have taken longer than expected.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thats great news then !
thanx
Peter
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Yeah altering the likes of fillets down the line would be a master stroke. That would probably be sharing some of the same sort of ideas as direct modelling apps like spaceclaim right?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2517.7 In reply to 2517.6 
Hi Rob, no I don't think I'm going to be able to do that "direct modeling" style as a general method of work, that sort of requires an intensive analysis of the existing shape. That would require quite a large chunk of work, I don't think it would be feasible for me to attempt that.

What is feasible is doing something more along the "traditional" history based type thing where your sequence of actions is remembered and you can alter it and have the actions replay with your modified values to produce an edited result.

That kind of "replay action" type thing already is working to a certain extent, for example if you do a Sweep, after you have completed it you can edit the input curves and the Sweep is recalculated. But this only works if all the objects that are participating in the chain are currently in place inside the model. Some operations like trimming or booleans involve deleting an object and replacing it with a new one, that currently breaks the chain because the "pre-booleaned" object is not available to be accessed for the history replay. That's the part that I want to work on adding though.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
sounds good. Seems like it might be similar to the c4d flexibility which is a good thing, (only moi has better tools).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All