Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2509.3 In reply to 2509.1 
Hi AdderD, it's a cool project and I think it will be useful as you make more progress on it.

Is there any way to make it smaller in size? It's not really too bad, but it looks like a 6.2 MB download. Just to give you a frame of reference MoI v1's full retail install is 6.4 MB.

It looks like Qt support DLLs are taking up almost all of the size - looks like 14MB worth of stuff for Qt? (when uncompressed)

That seems like it may be a downside of using Qt - you didn't happen to mention that part when you recommended Qt on that other thread!!

The reason why I ask about the size is that if it could get smaller it would open up a few different additional possibilities, like making it easier to send to someone as an e-mail file attachment along with a model. With the current size it is kind of getting out from being able to do that easily.

At any rate, it is a cool project, thanks for posting about it here!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2509.4 In reply to 2509.2 
Crashed here too.
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2509.5 In reply to 2509.4 
Hi Colin

It crashed immediately when I tried to use it from the zip folder though I did get the 'open' window

then I unzipped your folder into its own folder in my system and tried again ...

Got a pretty blue screen and two windows, 'open' and a debugging window behind it ... after clicking on 'open' the debugger window just kept running and repeating numbers ... on and on and on.

I guess it need a little more work :)

cheers,
eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2509.6 In reply to 2509.3 
>Hi AdderD, it's a cool project and I think it will be useful as you make more progress on it.
>Is there any way to make it smaller in size? It's not really too bad, but it looks like a 6.2 MB download. Just to give you a frame of reference MoI v1's full >retail install is 6.4 MB.
>It looks like Qt support DLLs are taking up almost all of the size - looks like 14MB worth of stuff for Qt? (when uncompressed)
>That seems like it may be a downside of using Qt - you didn't happen to mention that part when you recommended Qt on that other thread!!
>The reason why I ask about the size is that if it could get smaller it would open up a few different additional possibilities, like making it easier to send to >someone as an e-mail file attachment along with a model. With the current size it is kind of getting out from being able to do that easily.
>At any rate, it is a cool project, thanks for posting about it here!

Yes, I'm taken aback by how large QT is as well. It really does make the zip pretty big for such a small project.

Eventually I am going to compile QT as a static library and link against it. Also, the current EXE has it's full symbol table and all that goodness in there. Once I get to a stable version I'll strip the EXE of all debugging info. Between static linking and stripping the EXE it should become much smaller. Then I could use something like UPX to compress the resulting EXE. The hope is to get a single file version under 2MB.

On an unrelated note, I've been making new builds pretty much daily. I will be updating SVN in a little bit. I'll probably post another binary build tonight. So if things don't work for anyone or there are other issues maybe check back in a couple of days and see if there is a build to correct the issue.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6