simple problem on union

Next
hello,

i'm new to this wonderful software so before posting i've read tons of tutorial e reference manuals.
I'm using the evaluating v1 version and didn't understand how to join different surfaces.
In the attached file there's a ama(a part of a boat) and i would like to join the two part of one side and the 2 opposite corners in order to have 1 single lateral face.
i've tried with join, fillet and union but nothing happens. where i'm mistaking?

thanks

bye
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2471.2 In reply to 2471.1 
Your boat has many surface overlaping ( more 10 coats!!! )
So any function can be working easily!

And your sections are not symmetric to the vertical!

I propose this :) (i have keep the false symmetry ;)
Play with the Sweep with rails for finish the boat!
But for a perfect boat, you must have another clean symmetric sections!

EDITED: 10 Mar 2009 by PILOU

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2471.3 In reply to 2471.1 
Hi MrGuzzi - yes like Pilou mentions you've somehow got a lot of duplicated copies of these surfaces that are stacked up on top of each other.

It can be a little difficult to see this since they are all stacked up in the same spot, but what appears to be one surface in your model there is actually like 10 identical surfaces all in the same spot.

So for instance if you click and drag on any of those surfaces and pull it away, you'll see that there is another one underneath, and then if you drag that one you'll see another one was underneath, etc...

In order to Join up properly you'll need to have just one surface in each of those spots, it looks like Pilou has posted a tuned up version attached above, thanks Pilou!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2471.4 In reply to 2471.1 
did you call your canoe a "BOAT"?????

Sacrilege!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2471.5 In reply to 2471.4 
Hey Mr. Guz,

One thing of input I could give for you is before you start sweeping your curves, look closley to make sure things are aligned well. This type of misalignment can create unexpected results! Great thing about MoI is with object snap on and using construction lines, fixing this is a snap.

Use tthe different "flat" views to look at alignment and such.

Also, small little "Hooks" in the end of your curves, to try and round off the corner, can be bad for surfaces. You may want it to be a more smooth curve at the end and then if you want to shape the end better, fillet or cut it with another curve.

Good luck

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All