Wish: some default keyboard "shortcuts"

Next
Hello,

it could be nice, if at dialogs the keyboard could be used to jump between buttons and to enter a dialog. For example I'm meshing an object per shortcut Ctrl+M and see, that the created mesh is good. Than it would be nice to press the keyboard enter button to get the meshing done. Also it could be nice to get the arrow keys for jumping between buttons. For example the user could jump between "ok" and "cancel", the active button could be highlighted.

Regards,
Micha
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2459.2 In reply to 2459.1 
Hi Micha - for regular commands like Fillet for instance, you can normally just type some numbers in and your keyboard focus will be applied to the Radius control.

Also you can hit Tab to skip focus through different fields in the command options for regular commands - like for this one if you are drawing a rectangle and you want to go to the second field you can type Tab twice to get there to type in numbers.

Also for regular commands you can push Enter as an alias for pushing the "Done" button.

However, this is for the command options area which populates controls in the upper-right corner of the screen for normal commands, I haven't really got this working yet for dialogs.

In general it is not as common to have dialogs in MoI, the majority of things use that dedicated command option area, the mesh export dialog is a major exception to this.

I do have it on my list to improve keyboard handling for dialogs as well, it just has not been much of a priority since they are not heavily used in most cases. I'll take a look to see if there is anything that I can do pretty easily, but I'm not quite sure yet how much work that will be. If it ends up being very much then it may be a while before I'm able to get to this one.

- Michael

EDITED: 3 Mar 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2459.3 In reply to 2459.1 
Oh also - one keyboard shortcut that does work currently with the meshing dialog is Esc key for cancel.

It will probably be easy for me to do at least Enter for OK, and maybe Tab to go between input fields, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2459.4 In reply to 2459.1 
Hi Micha, I've made some improvements in the next v2 beta for some additional keyboard handling with the mesh dialog.

If you have the dialog in its expanded state, you will be able to type in some numbers directly without clicking and your numbers and the keyboard focus will automatically go to the "Angle:" field.

So for instance after the dialog is launched, you can then immediately type 30 <enter> (with no mouse clicks) to set the angle to 30.

Also you will be able to use Tab to move focus between the numeric input fields (Angle, Divide larger than, Avoid smaller than, and Aspect ratio limit).

You'll also be able to use Enter as a shortcut for pressing the "OK" button.

If you have focus on an input field, the first Enter keystroke will commit that field, and then a second Enter will work as a shortcut for OK.

Basically the Meshing options dialog will now behave in a consistent manner with the regular command options area for commands like Fillet or Rectangle which I described above in this thread.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2459.5 In reply to 2459.4 
Thank you. :)
  Reply Reply More Options