Possible normal bug?

Next
Hi Michael,

I've encountered a normal flip problem in the latest beta that wasn't there before.

Here's the export from the jan19 beta.

This is what I get using V1 or the Nov21 08 beta

The model was created using the Nov21 08 beta and exported as .lwo using these settings.

I've attached the MoI file (jan19beta-monitor.zip). Hopefully you can figure out what is wrong.

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2430.2 In reply to 2430.1 
Hi Tony - it looks like this is actually the result of a bug fix where MoI was handling the "outside" direction of open surfaces differently than Rhino.

I noticed some inconsistent handling between MoI's treatment of open surfaces in certain cases compared with Rhino (it depended on the ordering of some of the surfaces), so with that last Jan-21 beta I changed this so that MoI would handle the orientation the same as Rhino.

I guess that I should have tried to detect if the file was written by an older version of MoI and maintain the incorrect orientation when reading it in.... But I guess it may be too late for that now.

I should be able to add a Flip command in for the next beta that can be used to solve cases like this, I will give that a try and see about posting back a flipped version here.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2430.3 In reply to 2430.2 
If Flip gets its own button, heres your image for it. har har. :)

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2430.4 In reply to 2430.3 
Hi Nick that would actually be pretty good for a flip button! :)

At first though I don't think there will be a button for it, I kind of want to push it off to an auxiliary menu which I don't have set up yet.

But just having it available by shortcut key or by typing in the command name would be helpful for some export situations like this.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2430.5 In reply to 2430.1 
Hi Tony, here is a flipped version of that exterior monitor housing.

If you delete the exterior piece in your previous model there, and then do a File/Import of this one, then you should be able to get the right export from the Jan19 beta with that version.

You may run into a few pieces like this though where open surfaces have an opposite "positive" direction when opened with the Jan19 beta, to avoid this previous bug where the same file opened in Rhino (and other software reading the 3dm in directly) could possibly have an opposite "positive" side than what MoI considered the "positive" side (this only applies to open surfaces, closed solids are immune to this).

With the next beta there is a Flip command to fix these up, and if you run into any before then you can post them here or send them to me at moi@moi3d.com and I can send you back a fixed version.

Sorry for the normals confusion, I guess I could revert this fix that causes this, but it is probably a good idea for me keep the fix, which makes it so that MoI won't treat some of these surfaces opposite from what other programs will see when they open that same 3dm file.

This should also be better handled for new objects created with the Jan19 version, as it has a lot better handling for making sure fragments of objects (like pieces trimmed from a solid, or mirrored, etc...) all have the same orientation as the original piece which was not guaranteed before.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2430.6 In reply to 2430.5 
>> Sorry for the normals confusion, I guess I could revert this fix that causes this, but it is
>> probably a good idea for me keep the fix, which makes it so that MoI won't treat some of these
>> surfaces opposite from what other programs will see when they open that same 3dm file.

Aahh - the perils of using beta software, things change ;-)

Anyway I agree, sounds like the best way to go. I'm only having troubles due to still working on the Brain Amplifier, once that's done any new work will be done with the new system. Thanks for the flipped version.

In the mean time I can either send it to you for flipping or use V1 for export.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All