create a shell
All  1-2  3-4

Previous
Next
2426.3 In reply to 2426.1 
Here's an example using rail revolve - You actually just need the bottom profile and the rail for this. Start by selecting the bottom rail, then run Construct / Revolve / Rail revolve. (note that this is a sub-option alongside the regular Revolve command).

Then pick the rail curve, then pick 2 points to define the pivoting axis of the revolve, which you want to snap on to the ends of that polygon:

EDIT: oops - I thought I made a mistake here, but I think that this actually does give you the right shape that you were looking for.

You'll need to build some planar surfaces to finish this shape into a solid. To do that, construct the first one by selecting that bottom profile and running Construct / Planar. That will build a planar surface there. Select that planar surface and the result of the rail revolve and then use Edit/Join to glue them together. Then select that "almost solid" piece and run Construct / Planar again on it to fill in the last remaining hole and make it into a solid.

Let me know if you need any help with these final steps, that is using Construct/Planar in 2 different ways - if you have a planar curve selected it will build a surface for that curve, or if you have a surface or joined surface selected with a planar opening in it, it will seal that off. But it has to be a simple planar opening, that's why you have to seal off one side of this shape manually before that will work.

- Michael

EDITED: 19 Feb 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
2426.4 In reply to 2426.3 
And by the way, the reason why this other one next to it worked fine:

Is because the path bends more gradually there and the size of the profile is smaller than the curvature of the path, so it avoids that "folding over itself" problem that I showed earlier.

Hope that helps to make some sense of what you were running into at least!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-4