Request advice on battle rider
All  1  2-7

Previous
Next
2416.2 In reply to 2416.1 
I would start with a bunch of spheres, then use Scale or deform the control points to mass the basic form. Try to hide as many of your surface seams possible inside the mass, so they will be absorbed when you boolean them together. Extend the back end much further than you need, as you can easily trim away the excess later with a boolean difference using a box or a curve. Use trim or boolean difference to make the cutouts for your engines...

jonah
Image Attachments:
Size: 81.1 KB, Downloaded: 30 times, Dimensions: 548x402px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2416.3 In reply to 2416.1 
Hi Yenmonger, it seems to be quite similar to the previous discussion thread here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2119.1

In fact, isn't one of those the same image as from that other thread?

Would those techniques from that other thread also apply to what you want to do now?

Try thinking about dividing the shape up into smaller components and focus on one of those components at a time.

If you try to do the whole thing all in one single operation, it is easy to get stuck... If you go more a bit at a time it can be a lot easier to make progress incrementally.

From the kinds of shapes that you are showing there, another way you might make some progress is to build some separate tube shapes and then combine them together with booleans to make the basic hull.

That method would look something like this:

You can do things like hack off the ends with a line, then worry about constructing the tip with a different technique that is easier for rounded things like revolve or rail revolve.

But basically try drawing a few profile curves for some of the essential shapes of the model to make some initial progress.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks, guys. The deformed spheres idea is especially interesting - haven't tried that approach yet.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2416.5 In reply to 2416.4 
Another way Yen may be to do "components".

Create 1 large base shape, keep a copy up an off to the side, then start cutting your components out of copies and moving the cuts to the assembly. If you have cuts that intersect with a previous part, move the cutting curve with it and make the "fitting" cut in the assembly area.

Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2416.6 In reply to 2416.4 
Hi Yenmonger also this tutorial that lyes did a while ago on doing the deforming spheres technique may be of interest to you:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=1514.1

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Would it be appropriate to offer a bounty/reward here for someone to design this for me? I just need the curvey shapes. I can do the panel lines and more mechanical bits.

It seems that I have gotten good enough at MoI to stay busy doing conventional designs for other people and myself, but can't spare the time to experiment with these wacky curves.

I'm thinking a _minimum_ reward of $50, plus a few copies of the ship once I finish design, print, and cast in resin.

The job would include supplying me with files representing interim design steps so that I can learn the necessary tricks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-7