Line creation
All  1-7  8-13

Previous
Next
BRILLIANT!! Yes I assumed the option would go in the view options alongside the free rotate etc. What I was asking about before was a way of righting a camera that had got twisted in a funny orbit and ends up upside down with me spinning wildly which sometimes happens! But think I will use this new rotation option a lot - I think it will help moi loads for architectural work. Also ordered a space navigator yesterday so if i use it in first person mode will that unlock the full rotation options for the space navigator? I know you are wisely hesitant to add to the UI but perhaps it could be an option to have the view mode switching option in the UI by the snap options for quick access rather than having to go through the main options each time? Im never satisfied am i!!! ;-)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2413.9 In reply to 2413.8 
Hi Rob,

> What I was asking about before was a way of righting a camera
> that had got twisted in a funny orbit and ends up upside down
> with me spinning wildly which sometimes happens!

Do you have the rotation style set to "Free rotation" ? If you switch it to the "Around world z axis" method instead, it may help you to stay more oriented upwards when rotating around.

Another thing that may help is that you can set up a keyboard shortcut which will let you re-orient the view to point right-side up when you press a key.

To do that, go to Options / Shortcut keys, and add in a new entry. For the key part, put in whichever key you want to trigger this action, and for the command part paste in this:
script:var vp = moi.ui.mainWindow.viewpanel.getViewport('3D').tiltAngle = 0.0;

Then when you hit that key it should twist your view around so that it is going in the normal world z upward direction, it may possibly help you.

> Also ordered a space navigator yesterday so if i use it in first
> person mode will that unlock the full rotation options for the
> space navigator?

Yeah when you switch that mode it changes how rotation works both with the mouse and with the space navigator as well.

> I know you are wisely hesitant to add to the UI but perhaps
> it could be an option to have the view mode switching option
> in the UI by the snap options for quick access rather than
> having to go through the main options each time?

Usually setting up a keyboard shortcut is the best way to provide quick access to something like that, it will be possible to set up a keyboard shortcut that will switch back and forth between 2 modes, rather than going into the settings UI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2413.10 In reply to 2413.9 
Or setting one of the buttons on the navigator as the mode switcher which would be sweet so you could control all your camera moves with your spare hand without needing to take it off!

Thanks for the script - sounds like just the thing i was after.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2413.11 In reply to 2413.10 
Hi Rob,

> Or setting one of the buttons on the navigator as the mode
> switcher which would be sweet so you could control all your
> camera moves with your spare hand without needing to take it off!

Yup, that will work too. The way you set that up is to make a keyboard shortcut to do the action you need, and then in the Space Navigator driver you can tell it to send a keyboard combination to MoI when you hit a particular button on the controller.

The Space Navigator has 2 buttons (one on either side of the device) which can be assigned in this way.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2413.12 In reply to 2413.11 
Great - so next question is how do i work out the code for the shortcut or is that something that you have to write?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2413.13 In reply to 2413.12 
Hi Rob, usually it is easiest for me to write those, I just didn't mention it yet since the shortcut will not work until the next beta is out.

But here is what you would use when the new beta is out:

script:moi.view.rotationStyle = (moi.view.rotationStyle == 'World' ? 'FirstPerson' : 'World');

That will do a toggle switch between the regular or first person view rotation modes every time you hit that key.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-7  8-13