Unit Input

Next
Hi Michael,
Extending on the expression input within MoI, is it possible to include expressions mm, m, in, ft on the end of a value and MoI will understand the unit ?
As an example, if I model a product in metric units and say some holes have to be an imperial size say 3/8", I would only have to type in 0.375in, instead of 0.375x25.4

---------
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2410.2 In reply to 2410.1 
Hi Danny, yup! In fact I happened to have finished adding in exactly that just a couple of days ago, it is already set up for the next beta.

> As an example, if I model a product in metric units and say
> some holes have to be an imperial size say 3/8", I would only
> have to type in 0.375in, instead of 0.375x25.4

Actually you will be able to enter either 3/8" or 0.375in , whichever you prefer.

If you enter in something using foot and/or inch marks, like 5' or 6" , etc... , then it knows that you are entering foot and inches units and will convert that over.

Otherwise you can use that short units label at the end like 6cm , 5.2mm , 6ft , etc... ( one of: mm, cm, m, km, in, ft, mi )

These conversions will only have an effect if you have set a current unit system of other than "no units".

Also another new thing for numeric entry for the next beta is relative expressions - this is where if there is an existing value in an edit field you can enter an expression that starts with one of + -- / * to make an adjustment to that value. Like for example after you have done a fillet once so that there is a radius value set, you can enter /2 to half that existing value. The only thing a bit odd is if you want to subtract you need to use a doubled -- sign, this is so that there isn't a conflict with some fields that can take negative values.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2410.3 In reply to 2410.2 
What the!! that's great!
It'll come in very handy, modelling without thinking about calculations, just pure design and creativity.
It looks like with technology, the way it's going, the designer is heading in the direction of the check out operator at the supermarket, where the operator waits for the cash register to calculate the change for them, $1.50 from $2.00 is.......wait.......the cash register says 50c :)

---------
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All