Connecting curves and solids
All  1-2  3-7

Previous
Next
241.3 In reply to 241.2 

Thanks for such a quick answer Michael... I was preparing a scene to send but there is no need now...
I understand that it needs more work that you were planning for V1.0 but I think it will solve many problems... Also, there is no need to handle these shapes through complicated UI mechanisms, the "show points" or "show shape" command would do the job... What you see is What you get but there's more... That's the new philosophy for MOI IMO :-)

The workaround you suggest is perfect but it is a trick not appropriate for a future professional application so eventually you will have to find a way to solve this I'm afraid...

Although I have an almost zero 3d modeling experience I believe that being able to change the history of the creation of an object is the most basic need of the end user

EDIT : I send the scene in case someone else doesn't understand

EDITED: 27 Dec 2006 by JTB

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
241.4 In reply to 241.3 
> Also, there is no need to handle these shapes through complicated
> UI mechanisms, the "show points" or "show shape" command would do the job...

Well, there could possibly be several nested layers of these dependent objects, for instance you might extrude two circles, one inside the other to make an extrusion with a hole in it. Then you may do a boolean with another object. Then you may fillet an edge. Keeping the originator objects around would make quite a hierarchy of shapes that are invisibly attached underneath the top one, some of which are stacked on top of other shapes (like the input to the fillet operation is stacked directly on top of the output of the fillet). Especially in circumstances where there is stacking, just showing everything all in one shot would be problematic and would leave you with just a big jumble of stuff. It would work in the simple case of just one curve as the generator, but that is just one limited scenario...

> The workaround you suggest is perfect but it is a trick not appropriate
> for a future professional application so eventually you will have to find
> a way to solve this I'm afraid...

Definitely it would be good to solve it, and I do wish to undertake it in the future. It's just a fact of life that I can't squeeze every possible feature into the V1 release, though. :)

This same problem is actually a common limitation in existing professional construction-history based modelers too.

> I believe that being able to change the history of the creation of an object
> is the most basic need of the end user

Well, it depends on what the user is trying to accomplish... There are plenty of applications where history doesn't come into play really much at all, where its much more just the initial construction of shapes that is the most basic need.

But certainly there are types of modeling where changes are a very basic need.

There is a certain class of modeling application called a "parametric solid modeler" - these applications put a much greater emphasis on tracking the history of operations and allowing you to make changes. They are especially oriented towards mechanical design. Some examples of this type of application are SolidWorks, Solid Edge, Alibre, and Pro Engineer. If making modifications is your most basic need, then you'll probably be better off using one of these kinds of modeling applications rather than MoI. The trade-off is that you can't normally just draw as freely in these applications, there tends to be a lot more setting up steps and sort of a more rigid framework for how you construct things.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
241.5 In reply to 241.4 

Thank you for your answer Michael, sorry if I give the impression of a bad customer, I just throw ideas on the table not because you don't know something but because I guess you want to hear the (future) client's opinion :)
For me, MOI is OK even as it is... I will look forward for coming updates...

EDITED: 7 Dec 2006 by JTB

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
241.6 In reply to 241.5 
> Thank you for your answer Michael, sorry if I give the impression
> of a bad customer, I just throw ideas on the table not because you
> don't know something but because I guess you want to hear the
> (future) client's opinion :)

Don't worry, I didn't think that! I definitely want to hear all kinds of opinions and requests. I learn a lot from having this kind of input, it helps me to accumulate ideas.

Sometimes I can act on those ideas immediately but a lot of times it can take a while before I'll be able to do anything about them. Instead of just being quiet about it, I tend to like to explain why it will be in one of these categories so you can kind of get an idea of what to expect. I don't mean to stifle any opinions or other flow of ideas or questions from this, please keep them coming!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Some sort of "History" or "Modifierr Stack" for the various ops like Hexagon, Maya, Blender have would be useful.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-7