object shape - sweep

Next
Could you please advice what is wrong with my shape – rails, cross-section or scaling rail which is depicted by this non-smooth shading

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.2 In reply to 2391.1 
Hi Malvin - your object looks good to me...

Are you referring to these small shading artifacts here:

If so then that is just a side effect of a display mesh that did not make a very large number of polygons in that area for the display.

It has to do just with the display and not really with your actual surface.

It is not unusual that you may see some things like this in the real-time shaded display, that display is focused quite a bit on doing things quickly and that can sometimes leave this kind of stuff visible.

The one that you want to pay more attention to is if you see stuff like this when you export. (or if it is a larger defect than just that, levels of that small amount are not unusual).

In this case exporting your mesh to a polygon file format such as an .obj file using a high density of polygons looks like this:

So everything seems to be looking fine there, just ignore those small defects in the real-time display.

One thing you also might consider for a kind of rounded looking shape like this is to use the Rail revolve command, it tends to make a nicer form right in the tip areas.

That would go something like this - pick this curve as the profile and then run Construct / Revolve / Rail Revolve

Then pick the other curve as the path, and pick the revolve axis between these 2 points:

That will generate this result - it is basically a revolve that is deformed to match the rail:

Surfaces of revolution can tend to have nicer shapes right near the tip/pole areas.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.3 In reply to 2391.2 
Hi Michael
Thank you for the reply.
I used Sweep because I needed scaling rail to make the shape more consistant as to the thickness (along y-axis)
In Rail Revolve the tips are a lot thiner (along y-axis)
If you have other suggestions please advice

Thanks
Olga
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.4 In reply to 2391.3 
Regarding shading
In right view it seems like the shape kinks but I guess it is showing the tip become wider

Can you tell me please if I place another small elipse or circle near the tip (for second cross-section) to allow Sweep to go smoother how close to the very tip I should place the circle and how big it should be? Is there some rule here that can be followed?

Regards
Olga
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.5 In reply to 2391.3 
Hi Olga, is it the areas near the tips that you are mostly concerned with then?

One thing I noticed initially is that your shape is not aligned with the world axes, it is kind of sloping a bit:

This will kind of tend to make it harder to make symmetrical and do further steps on, I would recommend making these things aligned to the world axis and it is also helpful to locate it near the origin so you can snap on to the world x and y axis as references while drawing to keep things aligned.

One thing you may try for the tips is to add in an additional profile section near the tip areas.

Another idea is to not try to model the tip so directly immediately with the sweep, instead let the sweep extend forward just a bit and end in a planar cap, like this (this example one I chopped off the end of your sweep with a line using boolean difference):

And then fillet that:

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.6 In reply to 2391.4 
Hi Olga,

> Can you tell me please if I place another small elipse or circle
> near the tip (for second cross-section) to allow Sweep to go
> smoother how close to the very tip I should place the circle
> and how big it should be?

There isn't really any easy rule to follow necessarily...

But I would generally try to place it pretty near the end and try to make it shaped in the form you want in that area, something like this:

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael
Thank you very much for the replies.
I used Sweep because I needed scaling rail to make the shape more consistant as to the thickness (along y-axis)
In Rail Revolve the tips are a lot thiner (along y-axis)

This the one of several petals of a flower thus is it of world coordinates
I am trying to draw jewelry pieces with MOI and Rhino. Some are very organic. I have tried various programm and ZBrush in addition to MOI and Rhino does pretty much all I expect

Could you please advice on how to use Cplane in MOI? This petal I think could be something to learn Cplane in MOI if it works in MOI

Thanks
Olga
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.8 In reply to 2391.7 
Hi Olga, CPlanes are used if you want to relocate the grid to a different orientation than its default world axis orientation.

Say for example you have this model and you wish to draw some new details on the highlighted face:

Notice that face is not aligned with the world axes, so if you were to draw in the regular Top, Front, or Right views it would not work easily to align with that particular face since you would be looking at it in a slanted way instead of looking straight down on it.

You can use a CPlane to help with this - the cplane can orient the grid to match that plane and it can also optionally change the Top, Front, and Right views to be looking straight down and from the sides of that face rather than the world axes directions.

So for this example, using View / CPlane let you place the origin point of the new coordinate system, if you snap it on to the center point of that plane it will align with that plane, like this:

Then after pushing "Done" (or using right-click), the cplane will be set to that orientation, notice how the grid in the 3D view is now aligned with that face:

Additionally the Top, Front, and Right views are now looking relative to that face rather than looking in the standard world directions. So instead of having a slanted view of that face, they have a straight-on view of that face.

Now you can draw (in either the 3D view or the "Top" plan view) new shapes and they will be on that plane, like this:

One other note - MoI actually has the ability to automatically align shapes to planes when you draw them in the 3D view, so it is not always necessary to set a custom cplane to draw just one simple aligned shape to an existing plane, for simple things you can just draw directly on the planes in the 3D view and that plane will behave like a temporary cplane when you snap the first drawn point on to it. But if you wish to get your Top/Front/Right views aligned or do more detailed work on a specific plane or set it at a particular angle or something other than the most basic alignment with the plane, then it can be good to set a cplane so the full grid and views get aligned to it.

It tends to be something used with planar shapes, not really as much with free-flowing shapes like flower stuff though...

Also if your shape does align easily to the world axes, it is also generally better to just draw it aligned to those instead. But sometimes there may be just a portion of your shape that does not easily align to the world axes, that's when a cplane can be useful.

Hope this helps explain it!

- Michael

EDITED: 10 Feb 2009 by MICHAEL GIBSON

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.9 In reply to 2391.8 
Hi Michael
I do not have View / CPlane in View menu
Where do I find it?
Regards
OLga
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.10 In reply to 2391.9 
Menu Edit /View
If you have not, that is that you have not the last version ;)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.11 In reply to 2391.10 
Hi Pilou
Where do I get the latest? I see version 1 available for sale. That is the one I have
Thanks
Olga
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.12 In reply to 2391.11 
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.13 In reply to 2391.9 
Hi Olga, it sounds like you are using version 1.0 currently, which is the standard main released version.

But there is a beta (beta means an unfinished test version) release of version 2.0 available that you can download from here:
http://moi3d.com/beta.htm

One of the new functions for version 2.0 is a CPlane function that lets you change the orientation of the grid as I showed above.

There are also a whole bunch of other new things in the v2 beta as well, there is a full list of what is new so far here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/doc/V2releasenotes.html

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.14 In reply to 2391.13 
Can we really called 'beta' a software that never crash ?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.15 In reply to 2391.14 
+1
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.16 In reply to 2391.14 
> Can we really called 'beta' a software that never crash ?

:) For MoI I guess beta really means there are still features to add and not so much about lots of crash bugs to fix...

It actually saves a lot of time for everyone including me to have such a high level of stability.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Don't know that when I can use edition 2 of moi3d
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2391.18 In reply to 2391.17 
Hi coy, welcome to the forum!

> Don't know that when I can use edition 2 of moi3d

If you own v1, then you can use the v2 beta right now, you can download it from here:
http://moi3d.com/beta.htm

There will also be a 30-day trial version of v2, but that won't be ready until v2 is completed.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2391.19 In reply to 2391.18 
Also there are notes on all the new stuff in v2 so far available here:
http://kyticka.webzdarma.cz/3d/moi/doc/V2releasenotes.html