3D Complementary Software for MoI : texture and organic shape (Beginners)

Next
I found two good software for beginners (maybe someone may be interresting)

==First :
"3D paint brush" to easily add texture to your "MoI" creation (an exemple is below)
http://www.3dpaintbrush.com/
It open MoI ".3DM" files. You can add texture by drag and drop it and see in real time the texture (I've tried to modify specular and move objet : effect is great). You can then export in .obj .3ds...

There is a backdrop : you must create one object for each texture.

==Second :
Another software I found is "archipelis" you can create organic shape by drawing on a photo (texture are automaticaly applied to the object).

http://www.archipelis.com/

results are not the one from pixar, but learning curve is good and you can create organic shapes in seconds.

To help undestand basic concept of 3D these two softwares seems quite good for student. And of course I think MoI is the best way, to begin with nurbs.

PS : new MoI beta is just great

EDITED: 9 Feb 2009 by PP

Attachments:

Image Attachments:
Size: 24.5 KB, Downloaded: 52 times, Dimensions: 481x328px
Size: 8.9 KB, Downloaded: 102 times, Dimensions: 277x216px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2385.2 In reply to 2385.1 
Hi PP - thanks for sharing these links!

I'd heard something about 3D Paint Brush recently, but I didn't know that it could import .3DM NURBS models directly, that should make it fit well to use in combination with MoI.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2385.3 In reply to 2385.2 
Are there 2 renderers? One for the nurbs, one for the OBJ?
if not that mean they transform nurbs in polygons?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2385.4 In reply to 2385.3 
Hi Pilou,

> Are there 2 renderers? One for the nurbs, one for the OBJ?
> if not that mean they transform nurbs in polygons?

You will probably need to ask that question to their tech support to be sure, but most likely they will transform NURBS into polygons when they do the import. That is by far the most common method.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi

I hope you don't mind if I give links (sometime people give link for better positionning in google, or advertise their product). But I only do it to make it simplier for anybody to go on their website.

>I'd heard something about 3D Paint Brush recently, but I didn't know that it could import .3DM NURBS
>models directly, that should make it fit well to use in combination with MoI.

I guess, file is converted to polyons, since 3d paint brush can't export 3DM file.
Nevertheless, "import 3dm", is usefull for begginer. They don't have to think about file format.

Their left tab is quite similar to MoI interface, so it's quite easy to switch between the two softwares.

They say you can copy and paste 3D object directly without saving from others sofware with their 3Dsnip tool but it don't work with moi3D (I've tried sketh up7 it's ok). I suppose it's only for polygonal object. But in fact It's not important since you should save 3DM file before adding texture (if you want to modifie your 3DM file later).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2385.6 In reply to 2385.5 
Hi pp - re copy/paste - if you are in contact with their tech support you might forward them this link from a post in another forum:
http://www.spaceclaiming.com/xn/detail/2118765:Comment:10601

That gives some information on how to make a Copy/Paste function that will work between MoI and also Rhino. Basically it is just a 3DM file that is stored in the clipboard, so it is probably pretty easy to add support for this if you already have support for 3DM files.

EDIT: now that I think about it, they probably like to do Copy/Paste in both directions, and the backwards direction (from Paint into MoI) would not work in this case since they convert to polygons like you were mentioning. So this would be for a kind of one-way paste from MoI into their app and not backwards.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All