Object properties

Next
Hi Michael,

I have a suggestion for the object properties panel.
Just thought of it when i was navigating in a big Excel spreadsheet.

I think this can further enhance your mission to keep the UI as clutter free as possible.
This could be a quick way to access/identify object in a big scene.

Maybe a optional automatic zoom selected objects option box beside it.

What do you think.

By the way, great work on the betas!
They are more stable than most full releases of 3d software.
I Think Moi is a real gem, even though I bought Rhino, I still use Moi almost exclusively for modeling.

Eric G

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2374.2 In reply to 2374.1 
Hi Eric, it is a great idea!

The only tricky part is that it sounds like it would conflict with another option in MoI which is that you can set up keyboard shortcuts for single keystrokes, stuff like just plain E for Extrude, rather than only being able to use Ctrl+E or Alt+E for example.

One thing that I've thought about previously is making it possible to type command-line type stuff into the xyz coordinate entry box, maybe typing a name to select a named object would work there. You can put keyboard focus into that entry box by typing the Tab key first, so it would work by typing:
<tab> box <enter>
for the kind of example you were showing - that way it would not conflict with having keyboard shortcuts still work on regular keystrokes.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Or Open Office Calc I suppose ;)
http://www.openoffice.org/

EDITED: 2 Feb 2009 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Cinema4d has a great feature like that;
basically it has a search bar on top of the scene tree.
When your start typing in there it only shows object whose names contain only those letters.
Very usefull in large scenes.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2374.5 In reply to 2374.2 
Hi,

Yeah, I thought of the shortcut thing too, I`ve got a couple of them that would conflict with just typing in letters.

In regards to tab-box-enter, I think that would work since your hands are already on the keyboard and would not be any slower.
Where you put the input box I have no opinion, I know you will put it where it is best for the overall UI :)
The placement will only have secondary relevance since you can just start to type after you hit the tab key.

The reason I placed the example input box in the top right corner was because the object properties panel
was already there, so it felt logical.

Keep up the good work, really like the way you think in regards to UI and the workflow.
For me it`s THE most important factor when I`m using software (as long as the basic tool are present).
If the base is stable and logical, thats better than a lot of "broken" displaced advanced features.

Eric
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All