Moi3D to 3D-Coat to Cinema4D workflow tutorial
All  1-3  4-6

Previous
Next
2370.4 In reply to 2370.3 
Having both Cinema 4D w/Riptide and 3D-Coat, I appreciate you posting your workflow.

I've been avoiding 3DC for now since it requires you to "mush" your models upon import. I don't want to subdivide my spaceship models if I don't absolutely have to.

I see you're using the v3 alpha which I haven't really worked with yet but I hear that it will be worked on being able to paint without the subdivide requirement (if I understood the roadmap correctly).

Keith's Riptide plugin is a lifesaver I must say and his new Ogre exporter may be a boon for me as well getting my animated models into the game engine I'm working with.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2370.5 In reply to 2370.4 
Hi Max,

Thanks for the good info about MOI, C4D & 3DC

Why do you use 3DC instead of BodyPaint? Or is it
like comparing apples & oranges?

Cal
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Will: You're welcome :) and thanks for reading and adding your comments to my thread. I know what you mean about subdiving objects when you import them into 3DC, that's a bit annoying. But it seems that altough when i imported the Moi mesh into 3DC it did subdivide it, however once i painted the mesh i could export it as a lowpoly mesh with the autogenerated UVmap and the texture i painted on it. So the millions of polys 3DC normally subdivide with didn't cause a problem here. It could ofcourse cause problems with other meshes, but that has to be sorted out once you run into such problems. I'm sure it can be resolved without too much trouble. The latest 3DC 3.0 alpha is what i used, but as far as i know the 'paint-on-lowpoly-models' is not yet implemented in this release :( Andrew should add it asap instead of spending so much time on the sculpting stuff. But most users begs him for the sculpt tools so the rest of us who work with lowpoly models won't get heard. It kinda sucks..
RipTide Pro kicks ass, great plugin and well worth it's low price! i haven't tried Ogre tho..

Cal: You can probably use Bodypaint just fine, i can't guarantee it works as well and as easily as this does. I use 3DC because it's good when you use hardsurface models much like what you get from Moi, 3DC's auto-UV tool and texturepainting capabilities helps you solve many issues you run into when you work with Moi models which has no real meshflow or topology. They can sometimes be a nightmare to unwrap in a normal 3d application. The texturepainting tools in Bodypaint is real good, in many ways better than 3DC, so i'm not gonna say there's anything wrong with them. :) the tools you choose for your work depends on you and what fits best in your workflow, what i show here is only what i think is the best and easiest solution when i work with meshes coming from Moi.

/ Magnus
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-3  4-6