Boolean difference problem - solid becomes joined surface

Next
Gentlemen, I seek your counsel. I'm making a spaceship miniature for rapid prototyping, and have begun putting on panel lines. I do this by projecting a line onto the solid, then doing a sweep of a wedge shape along the separated projection lines. The wedge shape will help with the molding and casting process, and is good at 'catching paint'.

However, when I try to diff one of the sweeps from the main body, my solid turns into a joined surface (in some cases, worse!). I've tried scaling the swept object, and some repositioning, but nothing seems to give me a clean diff.

Any hints?

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2358.2 In reply to 2358.1 
Hi,

There was a small gap in the geometry where you booleaned (not sure why unless you have the model before the booleans) + an extra face near the back

If you are using V2 (beta) of MoI then you can use the script to show any naked edges which at least points you in the correct direction.

The script is:-
script:var gd = moi.geometryDatabase; gd.deselectAll(); var breps = gd.getObjects().getBreps(); for ( var i = 0; i < breps.length; ++i ) breps.item(i).getNakedEdges().setProperty( 'selected', true );

I have attached a copy of your model which is now solid.

- Steve

EDIT,

Updated model

EDITED: 3 Aug 2009 by MANZ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2358.3 In reply to 2358.1 
Hello again,

I just booleaned away the other side of the model with those sweep pieces, again it has left a problem. It looks like there is a problem due to the boolened parts overlapping.

If you look at those 2 part you can see where they overlap.

EDITED: 3 Aug 2009 by MANZ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Thanks guys, the script to expose naked surfaces is especially helpful.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All