Meshingbug at 3DS-Export
All  1-2  3-11

Previous
Next
2348.3 In reply to 2348.1 
Hi buk, thanks for posting the problem, I can repeat it over here so I'll take a look at fixing it up.

3DS though is limited in several ways, it actually has old 16-bit limits built into it so that the size of a single mesh object is limited to a somewhat smaller number of points and polygons.

I thought that maybe you were running into something related to that, but it looks like you are under that limit so it must be some other bug.

Actually after a closer look it seems like maybe the structure of this object is messed up, like the trim curves on some of the filleted pieces appear to have messed up trimming information in them, a piece of the trim outline actually seems to spike up in that weird way.

OBJ only appears to work better because it leaves those messed up areas just as open holes.

It looks like the actual bug was in the fillet command though, which seems to have constructed a messed up object.

Do you happen to have this object in a pre-filleted state so I can try to repeat the fillets and see the bug happen at that time?

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2348.4 In reply to 2348.1 
Hi buk, yeah the actual model data is kind of messed up in this case, the fillets on the upper and bottom parts of the holes have messed up trimming boundaries on them.

So I'm pretty sure that the actual bug in this case happened during filleting, sometimes a bug in an earlier stage can make a damaged object which then prevents stuff like getting a good export later on.

I think that the holes are going to need to be re-cut and then re-filleted, were these filleted with the newest v2 beta release? There have been some bug fixes in there which may help in this case.

In case you don't have an older version, I have attached here a version with the holes removed, those need to be cut again but I was not quite sure of the pattern of the cutting curves, can you show me how you did that part?

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
@JTB: yes... OBJ would be better, but I tried to import the generated OBJ file into blender and blender tells me some errors while importing... so there's a bug inside of the mesh...

@Micheal: THANKS =)
the filet took some time (longer than normal), so this could be the reason... so I'm just waiting for update und fix this problem at the moment with some explicit blends...

gn8 @ all ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2348.6 In reply to 2348.5 
Hi buk, please let me know if you need any help rebuilding those holes.

It looks like it is the upper and lower fillets on each hole that are messed up.

Also if you haven't done it already you may want to install the new Jan-19 v2 beta, it has some fixes to filleting in there. I'm not sure if it fixes this particular issue that you ran into or not though, but it is possible.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2348.7 In reply to 2348.6 
I did this with the Jan-Version...

btw... sometimes the Jan-Version tells me about insufficient memory while mesh exporting -.-
the Nov-version exports the same mesh without any problem... not exactly tested yet
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2348.8 In reply to 2348.7 
Hi buk,

Do you happen to have a version of that object just after the holes have been cut but before applying the fillets?

If I can get that version then I can try to repeat the fillets over here and maybe have a chance to see what is going wrong.

It's unfortunately really hard to try and understand what is going wrong just by looking at the messed-up final results rather than being able to debug it as the problem is actually happening.

> the Nov-version exports the same mesh without any
> problem... not exactly tested yet

Is this with this same object, or another one?

Do you happen to have a multi-core machine? If so, then what are your machine specs, like what amount of system memory do you have?

The new release will use multiple cores during meshing, but one side effect of that is that it will also take up more memory since it is doing more work at the same time than the previous version. If you have multiple cores but not a lot of system memory then this could be a problem.

It is possible to limit the new Jan-19 build to only use 1 single core which should should also limit memory usage to the same level as previously. To do that, there is a setting in the moi.ini file, set:

[Mesh Export]
ThreadLimit=1

But if you could tell me some more info about your system specs that might be useful for me to better understand the problem.

Thanks,
- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2348.9 In reply to 2348.8 
short info before I'm in bed...

my system is a simple AMD Sempron 64 runs at 2 GHz with 4 GB RAM (OS: WinXP Home)... no cores but the one ;)

YES, the object was the same (the teapot to complete my teapot warmer ^^), I'll retesting the situation tomorrow and post the results here... last days it works great with Jan/Nov-Version by meshing angles greater than 5 degrees... below 5 only the Nov-Version succeeds..

cu tomorrow
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2348.10 In reply to 2348.9 
Hi buk,

> YES, the object was the same (the teapot to complete
> my teapot warmer ^^)

I see - but do you mean exactly the same object that you posted previously that has the trims that were messed up by the filleter?

I'm not surprised that messed up trims may cause strange results like some attempt to make a hugely complex mesh.... Unfortunately that model will need to have those holes reconstructed in order to make a model that can be meshed properly.

You may get all kinds of odd results with it in that current state.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2348.11 In reply to 2348.10 
re

Hey Michael,

> I see - but do you mean exactly the same object that you posted previously that has the trims that were messed up by the filleter?

no, I ment a teapot (not the warmer)...

no I retried the exports and everything works fine... maybe last time I executed to much applications in background, so that's no error in MoI.

Thanks 4 support =)

buk
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-2  3-11