will htere be layers in MIO?
All  1-5  6-9

Previous
Next
HI Michael,
this is really the big thing missing,
I understand you have your own dev schedule, but I would have gladly taken v1 as it were with the addition of layers, before anything else.
I use Moi sporadically. It is the best hard modeler I have used, for what we do except that,
without layers,
it is still not ready for production work.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2339.7 In reply to 2339.6 
Hi okapi, mostly I wanted to take some time to do a grouping/layers method in a good way the first time they are implemented, rather than just kind of doing something with the same kinds of limitations that a kind of "standard" system has in it.

Traditional layers can tend to be rather clumsy in several aspects, and it will just pay off more in the long run to do this area pretty carefully rather than rush through it.

It wasn't a focus for v1 since layers do not really do any good for simple objects.

It has worked out better to try and focus on making things work really well for simple objects first, before chewing on stuff for complex objects.

Being able to handle simple things easily and quickly is a very foundational thing and it is a hard area to try and come back later and fix up.

By the time we get to MoI v4 or v5 I think it will be more apparent how this kind of careful route of UI development will pay off, with a more cohesive final result at that point. I understand that it is hard to appreciate it here more in the earlier stages though! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2339.8 In reply to 2339.7 
Hi Michael,
I really appreciate the effort you put into moi.
I am sure it is important to have a strong basis.

I just think that, with layers (which can also be exported well) I would switch for 80% of my modeling work to Moi.
Because I deal with large architecture models, I need to have a way to manage complex hierarchies.
It might be different for people modeling industrial products ,but if I have hundreds of objects and I need to export to an external app a few time (also back and forth), then scene organization is very important.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2339.9 In reply to 2339.8 
Hi okapi - definitely I understand that it is an important issue for many types of work.

It's pretty much the main area that I have remaining to finish up before version 2.0 will be all wrapped up.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-5  6-9