Twisted Loft
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
2337.2 In reply to 2337.1 
Hi Duke, it looks like your bottom profile curve is not fully closed, that is what is confusing the thing that tries to automatically align profiles to reduce twist.

The open part is here:

Zooming in close to that circled area:

I've attached a tuned up version here as KMTower_02.3dm - with that bottom curve closed it should then do a proper job of untwisting the Loft for you automatically.

One quick way to tell if a particular curve is open or closed is this new object properties readout in the last couple of v2 betas:

That will say "Closed Crv" there if you've got a closed curve, if it says just plain "Curve" then that means the selected object is an open curve. That's what I used to quickly check if all the curves were open or closed in this case.

Hope this helps!

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2337.3 In reply to 2337.2 
Oh yeah and it is possible to do some manual alignment on the Loft - the way that works is while you are still in the Loft command before you push "Done", you can click on a profile to reverse the profile's direction, and if all your profiles are closed there is a "seam point" that is displayed which you can drag on to adjust the connection line between the profiles (to see a quick demo of this draw some circles for example and loft and you will see these draggable points show up before you hit "Done" in Loft).

However if you have open curves, or a mixture of open/closed curves you won't have any "seam point" to adjust, that only shows up if they are all closed. Open curves are always connected together by their endpoints and if you have a mixture of open and closed curves, the "natural end" of the closed curve will be used which is not always in a particularly optimal spot, that is why your case here did not work very well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2337.4 In reply to 2337.3 
This is nice! I didnt know this was there! Does this exist in sweep also? I'll have to look.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2337.5 In reply to 2337.4 
Hi Burr,

> Does this exist in sweep also? I'll have to look.

Not in sweep - that has a kind of different setup since there are additional rail curves involved. Like with the 2 rail sweep it will use the spots of the profiles in relation to the 2 rails to determine how to orient the profiles automatically.

Loft has fewer things to reference, so it can possibly need some manual tune-ups when there are a bunch of loft profiles especially if they are kind of all dispersed in 3D.

The other command that does allow you to adjust orientation like this is Blend - while in Blend before clicking Done you can click on an edge to reverse it and when blending between 2 closed edges you will get that seam adjuster thing there as well.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2337.6 In reply to 2337.5 
NICE!

Will report when I set up my new dual quad! Waiting for the 30 inch that arrives in a day or so.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6