V2 beta Jan-19-2009 available now
 1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-86

Previous
Next
Michael - Yes I'm running with the 3Gb switch, I think you've done a wonderful job with the mesher. Now time for .........scene management ;)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Other notes on new stuff for in the Jan-19-2009 version:

The speed improvement on transforms (such as dragging, mirroring, arraying) works by a special "proxy" being used when the objects involved have more than 50 faces. Instead of creating a completely new object, the proxy will re-use the existing object and just draw it in a new location which is much faster than making a full copy if the object is complex. This allows for much smoother and faster dynamic feedback when moving the mouse around during transform operations on large objects. The 50 face threshold limit can be changed in moi.ini :
[Transform]
ProxyGenerationNumFaces=50
A proxy is not used for smaller objects so that you can get more history feedback on small objects, when a proxy is used any history update will not be applied until the transform is complete.

Updated mirror command so that objects that are not solids will not have their normals flipped after they are mirrored which would previously happen.

Enabled making copies while in edit frame wheel mode, by holding down Ctrl before dragging the mouse.

Enable grabbing an object snap point in wheel mode, rather than only grabbing on the wheel - this allows for grabbing a reference point to do an accurate rotation relative to some particular point on an object, which you previously had to use the Transform/Rotate command to do.
For examples see: http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2243.8

Open as Read-only option. You can enable a "read only" checkbox for the file open dialog by a setting in the moi.ini file:
[FileDialog]
EnableReadOnlyCheckbox=y

You can now open a file as a "Template file" by using a right-click on the Open button. When you open a file as a template file, the current file name will remain blank so that it is not so easy to save over top of the template file itself.

New option to specify a startup template under Options / General / Template file. This allows you to create a file set up with the views and any template objects or other file properties that you want in it and have that file automatically opened when you start up MoI or do File/New.

Updated the FBX toolkit library to the latest 2009.3 version.

Update grid snap menu - added grid size and snap size entries to the mini grid snap menu that pops up above the grid snap button.

Made Ctrl+click be a "prefer deselect" mode. There is normally a preference that targets unselected curves in an area where many curves are nearby when you click, to make it easier to select them. Now when you hold down the Ctrl key this will be inverted to prefer targeting selected curves. This makes it easier to deselect an already selected curve in a crowded area when Ctrl is down. Additionally if Ctrl is down then a drill-in will not be done when clicking on an already selected solid so that you can deselect a solid with a single ctrl+click.

Updated NURBS export to SAT, IGES, and STEP formats - turned off analytic entites export by default and fixed some bugs in analytic export. There are now 2 settings to control enabling analytic export in the moi.ini file, one for curves and one for surfaces:
[NURBS Export]
WriteAnalyticCurves=n
WriteAnalyticSurfaces=n

Added some script functions to access the camera point from a script, it is now possible to run this script on a keyboard shortcut to copy the camera and target points to the clipboard so you can find out where they are to set them in another program:
script:var v = moi.ui.mainWindow.viewpanel.getViewport('3D'); moi.copyTextToClipboard( 'Camera=' + v.cameraPt.toString() + '\r\nTarget=' + v.targetPt.toString() );

Promoted LWO scale to meters setting to have an entry in the Options dialog, under Options / Import/Export / LWO .

Added option for LWO export to use either Modo's or LightWave's coordinate system for vertex normals. Unfortunately each of these programs uses a different coordinate
system for vertex normals. Which one is used can now be set in moi.ini under:
[LWO]
VertexNormalsStyleModoOrLW=Modo
the default is Modo, to set it to LightWave style switch it to:
[LWO]
VertexNormalsStyleModoOrLW=LW

There is now a new "Orient ortho views" option that you can un-check when setting up a cplane, which will leave the ortho views in their default world orientations but make the changed cplane available inside of them. This can help if you are tracing an image in the top view and you want the view to remain locked down in its regular viewing direction, but still change the cplane to an angle to draw over a particular angled part of the image.

updated line display - now when viewing a line in a viewport that is looking directly point-on to it, the line will show up as a small dot rather than being completely invisible.

There are now options in moi.ini for setting the default values used for meshing:
[Mesh Export]
Angle=
DivideLargerThan=
DivideLargerThanApplyTo=
AvoidSmallerThan=
AspectRatioLimit=

Also a variety of smaller bug fixes...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.23 In reply to 2333.22 
Cheers Michael, some good stuff there!

---------
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.24 In reply to 2333.23 
Thanks Danny!

You may be particularly interested in the startup template file - this should allow you to now set up a parallel view by default if you want.

To do that, save off a file that is set up to have a parallel view and set that file as your startup template under Options / General.

Then when you launch MoI or do File/New you should get your parallel view going there by default.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.25 In reply to 2333.24 
Well there you go! I was sort of of doing a mental list of things that I use that I have to switch on during a new session.

1. Parallel View :)

Thanks for that Michael.
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.26 In reply to 2333.25 
Lots of good stuff there Michael.

I didn't know about the vertex normals thing between Lightwave and modo as I only have modo. Which way did MoI do it before this update?

Regards
Tony

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.27 In reply to 2333.25 
Hi Danny,

What is parallel view ?

Edit :

Hi Michael...

I am not clear about this :
"Added some script functions to access the camera point from a script, it is now possible to run this script on a keyboard shortcut to copy the camera and target points to the clipboard so you can find out where they are to set them in another program:
script:var v = moi.ui.mainWindow.viewpanel.getViewport('3D'); moi.copyTextToClipboard( 'Camera=' + v.cameraPt.toString() + '\r\nTarget=' + v.targetPt.toString() );"

EDITED: 21 Jan 2009 by ANIS

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.28 In reply to 2333.27 
Hi Michael,

Formula-1 progress!!! Let us have a pit-stop.

Thanks,

George
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Great new stuff as always!!!
***Modeler Of Ideas***
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
On Vista 64 Ultimate 6GB and IP7 2.6GHz a whopping 576 Solid pieces were converted into a 108MB .obj with 6456724 Polygons and 6467653 Point Count in less than 10 secs for screen display and saved in another 20-30 secs. More was not possible as that took 3.99GB Mem and a peppermint or polygon more would have caused a mess.

You're on to something Michael!!!

8)))
Rainer
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.31 In reply to 2333.30 
Maybe you must write 6 456 724 Polygons and 6 467 653 Point Count, more easy to understand the tremenduous numbers! :)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.32 In reply to 2333.31 
Hi Michael,

wow, this is more than breathtaking:
MacPro, Dual Quadcore 2.8 Ghz, 6 Gig of Ram, Vista Business 64, Geforce 8800GT with 512 MB Ram:

MoI 1.0: 2:03 (1 608 626 Polys)
MoI 2.0, One Thread: 0:29 (1 816 449 Polys) (latest Beta)
MoI 2.0, No Thread Limit: 0:10

This was using a simpler mesh where I lowered the meshing angle to 1° to make it choke.

With a another mesh with normal settings (4°), it was 0:30 with MoI 1.0 but instantaneous with the latest Beta.
I have to dig out a more involved object for more tests.

Thank you so much, that makes exporting much more fun!
The other changes are also very welcome.

BTW. Scriptcopier doesn't work if one doesn't use the default path for MoI.

Cheers,

Thomas
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.33 In reply to 2333.32 
In the process of setting up the new crusher! Does the vid card have any impact here. If it does, I'll post some results too. If not, I think the pudding has already been eaten!
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.34 In reply to 2333.33 
Hi Burr,

> Does the vid card have any impact here.

Not particularly, except maybe in a kind of roundabout way.

One of the new things of the mesher is that it will display any objects that it has finished during the progress of the current meshing job, instead of only displaying the fully finished result only at the end like it used to.

If you have something really very old like your one Radeon 7200 card, then I guess it would be possible for that display part to take enough time to kind of steal the attention away from one of the CPU cores during the mesh calculation.

But if your video card is at all reasonable then it should not really be a factor.

Hopefully you are not initially setting up your new mega core box with that old Radeon 7200 , are you ?! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.35 In reply to 2333.26 
Hi Tony,

> I didn't know about the vertex normals thing between
> Lightwave and modo as I only have modo.

Until very recently LightWave didn't support it, I think it is only supported in the newest LightWave release, I think version 9.5 ?

Unfortunately when they added support, it appears that they did not do it in a way that was compatible with Modo.

I can kind of understand how that happened because Modo implemented it in a somewhat strange way before that, where they expected the vertex normals to be in right-handed coordinates, while all the other coordinates in an .lwo file are in left-handed coordinates.

Anyway because of this kind of messed-up situation where each of them is expecting different kinds of coordinates for this same vertex normal data I have put in this switch in MoI.

> Which way did MoI do it before this update?

The Modo way, same as the new default.

So if you're using Modo you shouldn't need to mess with it.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.36 In reply to 2333.27 
Hi Anis,

> What is parallel view ?

You were asking Danny, but I can give you an answer here - the parallel view is when you turn off perspective in the 3D viewport. It is also sometimes called an "orthographic" view. More details on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthographic_projection_(geometry)

In MoI the option for this is under Options / View / 3D view projection: the choices are: Perspective or Parallel.

I'm pretty sure that you have used this before though, because didn't you like to set it up with the Parallel/orthographic type view to make it appear the same as SolidWorks?

> I am not clear about this :
> "Added some script functions to access the camera point from a script,

Basically if you set up a keyboard shortcut with the script given there, when you execute that script it will copy the camera and target point locations to the clipboard. You can then paste them into a text editor to see the camera and target locations and enter those into another application if you want to synchronize the views with another app exactly.

Previously there wasn't any way to extract this camera information.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.37 In reply to 2333.35 
Michael
Just a few questions about the list of V2 updates.
(Sorry if they seem completly dumb!)

The only uni file I can find is in the V1 folder. I presume that is the one?
I note some odd files that have been added--highlighted with a red line--is it ok to delete them?

Now a couple of questions which may help to answer some others by default.

1.Added option for LWO export---
I can not see the default Modo setting there?
2. Updated Nurbs export----
Does one actually type one of those options into the uni?
3. There are new options------values for meshing
Is this relating to .obj saves? Seems the same as before to me?

Brian
Image Attachments:
Size: 121.3 KB, Downloaded: 52 times, Dimensions: 1024x640px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Wow, some great numbers there, thanks for posting them everybody!

That's really funny that now the stage of writing a large data set to disk can actually take longer than the mesh calculation itself!

This used to be a pretty painfully slow area, so it is great to have it tuned up to be so much better now...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.39 In reply to 2333.37 
Hi Brian!

> The only uni file I can find is in the V1 folder. I presume that is the one?

Yeah that will be the one.

By default the moi.ini file will be created in your "Application Data" folder which will be here:
C:\Documents and Settings\ [your login name] \Application Data\Moi\moi.ini

However, you can optionally move the moi.ini file to be in the same folder as MoI.exe if you like - it is not set up like that by default because someone who does not have administrator privileges on their machine cannot write data to the "Program files" folder.

But if you move moi.ini to be in the same folder as moi.exe then it will check for it there first and use it from there if it finds it, it sounds like you have moved the file over there at some point in the past.

> I note some odd files that have been added--highlighted
> with a red line--is it ok to delete them?

Yeah, those are just previous entries in your "Recent files" list - the list of your previously opened files that pops up when you open up the Files menu. You can delete them if you want but if you delete anything before the first blank one (the first one with nothing after the = sign) then it will clear out that list to be blank when you start out MoI the next time.

Those entries are not really doing anything bad though, is there some special reason why you want to remove them?

> 1.Added option for LWO export---
> I can not see the default Modo setting there?

It will get added automatically the first time that you do an LWO export. Otherwise if it is not added yet you can add it in manually if you wish.

> 2. Updated Nurbs export----
> Does one actually type one of those options into the uni?

If you want to control that option then yes - again these will get added in with their default values to the moi.ini the first time that you do an export to either SAT, STEP, or IGES formats.

But they are only really of use when importing those files into applications that require data to be structured in a certain special way, probably you won't have any use for them yourself.

> 3. There are new options------values for meshing
> Is this relating to .obj saves?

These new options can be used to control the default values that are used when you save to a mesh format, which includes .obj format.

> Seems the same as before to me?

Yup, that is how it is supposed to be - only if you change those values will you see a difference. For example if you find that every single time you exported a mesh you wished that the angle parameter was set to 6 degrees, you can set that up now by setting Angle=6 in those options.

With that set, then the angle will have a value of 6 when that meshing dialog is initially displayed in a session.

If you do not have a special value that you need all the time for the default, then this setting will not be of any use to you specifically.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2333.40 In reply to 2333.39 
Thanks Michael
Should also answer the several unasked questions also.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-60  61-80  81-86