Nurbs modelling question ?
All  1-4  5-9

Previous
Next
2292.5 In reply to 2292.4 
Ok thanks Michael for the clarification.

I just tried loft and surprisingly it does work for this shape but doesn't quite hold its edge along the existing wing.

I found that if I extrude the yellow curve in the Z direction the resultant surface gives a better guide when adjusting the red curves as I can see how the two surfaces intersect before trimming. That solution will have to do for now.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2292.6 In reply to 2292.5 
Hi Kevin, I had a quick look at this if you didn't mind, and as Michael says that yellow curve can't be included in the building of that surface or else it won't be smooth, it hasn't got the same curvature as the other cross strings, unless you intend to project that curve onto the surface or extrude it in the x minus direction to trim with.

Anyhow, for what it's worth I've attached your wing tip showing a plane that I used to extend the curves, then swept the last cross string and used the resultant edge at the end for the last cross string for a network, as you can see the surface is quite smooth but the yellow curve you mentioned is nowhere near that surface.
Another thing I noticed is that the main curves you have there have a lot of control points, was this a result of it being a projected curve ?

---------
~Danny~
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2292.7 In reply to 2292.6 
Thanks Danny

I appreciate you taking the time to look into this.

>Another thing I noticed is that the main curves you have there have a lot of control points,
>was this a result of it being a projected curve ?
Yep, those curves have been projected onto the fuselage of the aircaft and the one on the wing has been generated from wing surfaces edge.

The yellow curve represents the trailing edge of the wing fillet (according to the blueprint reference I am using) but I am beginning to doubt that it is accurate or else you can't get a smooth flowing wing fillet as you have generated. I'll do some more checking of photos of the real aircaft to see if it differs from the blueprints.

Thanks for the tip about extending curves to a surface, I didn't know you could do that, so that is a really good thing to know. I think I would use it a lot.

You've certainly helped me solve this problem on all aircraft that I do which contain wing fillets !

EDITED: 5 Jan 2009 by KEVJON

Image Attachments:
Size: 31.1 KB, Downloaded: 91 times, Dimensions: 800x600px
Size: 19.6 KB, Downloaded: 37 times, Dimensions: 800x600px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2292.8 In reply to 2292.7 
Hi Kevin - one other thing that may possibly be useful to you is to use the Construct / Curve / Isect command, which will generate the intersection beween 2 surfaces as a curve object, that may help with visualization.

It is also possible to enable history updating on the intersection curve - to do that select it and run Edit/History and click "Enable update". Then if you adjust one of the surfaces that intersection curve will update. If you mouse over the intersection curve you will get that selection halo around it, it may help you to more easily see what is going on there.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2292.9 In reply to 2292.8 
Thanks Michael. Thats a very handy tip which I didn't know. I can see myself using that a lot to get my surfaces to conform to the approx shape I require.

It seems to be the best way to create larger surfaces that are later trimmed (to avoid the panel by panel approach) and yet still model reasonably close the profiles I require.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-9