FBX export script...

Next
Hi all. I am not sure if the .fbx plugin script is developed by Michael, or someone else, but it would be great to see it export NURBS as NURBS. Like the Autodesk .fbx exporter can. Why do I ask? Because I simply love NURBS, and the other options just seem to produce a model that is quite high (unnecessarily so) in poly count. I know there are other options for keeping NURBS like .STP, or .IGS, but these formats seem to not always output correctly when importing into Maya.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
2278.2 In reply to 2278.1 
Hi Phr0stByte,

Although FBX contains a mechanism for holding NURBS surfaces, as far as I know it tends to be a much less utilized method. That makes me have a pretty low amount of confidence that it is going to work really well or really be better than a regular NURBS format.

> and the other options just seem to produce a model that
> is quite high (unnecessarily so) in poly count.

A NURBS surface will have the same data in it between all these different formats, so there shouldn't be a good reason why a surface should get a different polygon count using one NURBS format rather than another NURBS format.

That is something that probably should be fixed up in Maya to work better.

MoI does already export NURBS to 4 different formats: 3DM, IGES, STEP, and SAT. All of these are pretty industry standard formats for CAD applications. I understand that Maya does not have a good IGES reader, but really that is up to Autodesk to fix that up so that it works better instead of having a buggy one for so long.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All