Feature request - shading of imported poly objests
All  1  2-5

Previous
Next
2265.2 In reply to 2265.1 
Hi Jumbo - actually MoI does not currently import polygon objects at all.

If you're using the wireframe converter from here:
http://moi3d.com/wiki/Resources#Obj23dmWireframe_converter - what that actually does is take the polygon mesh object and turn it into a .3dm file that has only line objects in it, the same kind of objects as if they had been drawn using the Draw curve / Line command.

So there is actually nothing to shade with that method - the result in MoI through those steps is a set of line curves and not polygons. But it does allow for a way to get some basic reference data into MoI if that is helpful.

Right now MoI is focused on modeling using NURBS data, which is a much different type of data than polygon objects. Although MoI has a function to convert a NURBS object into polygons at export time, it is not set up to work with polygon objects for modeling operations.

This is not planned to change for v2 - for v2 the focus for MoI will still be just on NURBS modeling.

I think it will be possible to expand this at some point in the future to also have MoI work on polygon type data in addition to its current NURBS data, but it is a pretty big area of work since polygon modeling typically needs a very different toolset. So it may be a while before that happens.

For now if you want to work on imported polygon data, you will probably be better off using a tool that is focused on polygon modeling instead of MoI, for example something like Silo, Modo, etc.... Those programs are focused on working on that particular type of 3D data.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2265.3 In reply to 2265.2 
I do agree a little bit that having the option to importing poly shaded data would be really helpfull to integrate MoI in a modeling pipeline. I'm not waiting any poly toolset inside MoI, but just import mesh as reference, and the option to scale/rotate it maybe. But I can understand it's not an high priority too.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2265.4 In reply to 2265.3 
I agree with PAQ.

I don't think polymodelling tools should be included in MoI as there is plenty of software that already does that (some being free) but it would be great if you could bring poly data into MoI and freeze it so it could be used as a modelling guide for other shapes you want to create inside or around it.

Anyway, perhaps an option for future releases.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
I couldn't agree more PAQ...One Tool I personally think will rock is something like tsImportOBJ from tsplines, (just tsImportOBJ).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-5