Fillet mechanism
All  1-9  10-20

Previous
Next
2259.10 In reply to 2259.8 
I was thinking about when the area limits the fillet that I would like to get curvature on like here.

The left edge would stop your fillet size, But the if you could slide it up then you could get the curvature you wanted.

You already answered, There are also other mechanisms to acheive this surface.

I was just asking as latley I have been filleting models that other packages fail and was hoping for MoI's ability.

Thanks again,
Burr

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2259.11 In reply to 2259.9 
Constantly distracted with the little ones, but it was a SW Video and I figured I was even wrong in what I remembered! Even they dont do that.

Oh well :o
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2259.12 In reply to 2259.11 
Hi Burr, it would still be interesting to see the video if you can find it...

Maybe what you are talking about there would be done better by a kind of blend curve with different bulging amounts on each side of the blend... MoI does not have a control for doing different bulges on each side, but I think that Rhino's Blend command does.

I'm not really sure that an actual Ellipse fillet is very feasible.

If you have 2 surfaces that are planes that meet each other at a 90 degree angle, then there is a pretty straightforward solution, like this:

However, it is not guaranteed that all surfaces in a model will meet at 90 degrees to one another! :) (if it was then it would be a lot easier to do these calculations though!)

With a different angle than 90 degrees, I guess it would have to do something like this:

But that is not really a symmetrical result - the minor axis of the ellipse has been nailed down to just one side and the other side is getting a point somewhere interior to the ellipse but not on the other ellipse axis. So I guess it would have to kind of "favor" one side of the blend as the one to stick the ellipse axis onto... Kind of an awkward situation to try and control or specify with UI it seems.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2259.13 In reply to 2259.12 
Hi Burr, how about this video :

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2259.14 In reply to 2259.13 
Hello Anis,
It certainly has powerful fillet tools, though thats not what I was thinking of. Actually I think I found it and it is NOT what I was trying to explain.

http://www.solidworksmedia.com/Screencast_SW08/SolidWorks2008.html

There is a menu link regarding fillets.

For some reason, I remembered them grabbing only ONE EDGE of the fillet and moving it up the wall, though this video only shows interactive fillet sizing. Not my original question!

Actually though, In anis's video, towards the end you can see something with the solidworks filleter that maybe you could look at in that it will complete a fillet through an area smaller than the radius of the fillet!

I had seen this in another forum and thought about MoI.

Thanks for the time again,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2259.15 In reply to 2259.14 
Hi Burr, - yeah those are some really cool results!

I wish it would be easy to add that into MoI as well.

Unfortunately it is a very difficult area to work on. SolidWorks for example uses a geometry library that is expensive and has a whole team of people that have focused many years or even decades worth of work in making that filleting engine.

I guess it would be possible for me to license that same engine and incorporate it into MoI, but it would require raising the price of MoI probably by several thousand dollars to fit within that library's expensive licensing system. So that would be a pretty big leap!

Basically, I am pretty dependent on the filleting code that is provided by the geometry library that I use - currently I'm not really planning much on doing a bunch of custom fillet engine work myself, it is just too time consuming unfortunately. However, there are still some areas in this current library that I have not made full use of yet such as variable radius fillets.

So there will be at least some more fillet-related stuff coming in the future, but it is unlikely that MoI will suddenly become on a par with SolidWorks for filleting anytime in the foreseeable future.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2259.16 In reply to 2259.15 
MoI have some limitation in fillet, yes its correct. But we can use another method to get similar result. N-patch, improvement in surafce modeling area and 2D drawing is important feature for me. I have use solidworks for more than 4 years. Today I have moi and I like it. Intuitive workflow, easy and of course affordable. I wish you keep moi as software for everyone at affordable price :).

Thanks....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2259.17 In reply to 2259.15 
"...there are still some areas in this current library that I have not made full use of yet such as variable radius fillets.''

I'd love to see variable radius fillets implemented.

I've had several situations where my geometry goes to a point (or tapers to a very small radius) and fillet fails. Or the largest fillet possible is too small to be seen in my render.

Ed
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
+1 for radius fillets implementation.

also this one http://integrityware.com/tutorials/Max/Release20/UVTrimming/UVTrimming.html (thought fits description above)

>I guess it would be possible for me to license that same engine and incorporate it into MoI, but it would require raising the price of MoI probably by several thousand dollars to fit within that library's expensive licensing system. So that would be a pretty big leap!

I have thought of that already, IMAGINE if Michael could put his hands on PARASOLID engine, hmm MoI with synchronous technology. "MAGIC"
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2259.19 In reply to 2259.18 
Hi Yannada,

you need not only parasolid but also d-cubed. The price will be $$$$ :(
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2259.20 In reply to 2259.18 
Hi Yannada,
Also nice but more like "Patch" work. I think what I originally was talking about doesnt exist and really doesnt make sense now when I think about it. If you look at the solidworks video I posted a link to (The fillet link) you'll see the surface manipulated and the fillet change in real time....But what I thought I remembered was them grabbing just the top edge and dragging it up the wall, with the lower edge staying in its original position. I havnt found this and also think I must have "dreamt" it later that night!

For now the MoI filleter "STILL" produces fillets for me that others fail at, I was just poking around on Michael for what may be....

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-9  10-20