Rotate+copy (V2 b)
 1-15  16-21

Previous
Next
2243.16 In reply to 2243.13 
Hi Marc,

> Would it be a good if the dotted "rotate" circle would scale
> at the point where the user specify the reference point?

Interesting idea! I went ahead and gave it a try, but it kind of had a jumpy feel to it that seemed a bit distracting.

When it stays fixed in size it kind of feels a bit more like a dial control sort of.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2243.17 In reply to 2243.15 
Hi Steve,

> When as example I have a rect, I enable "Wheel mode" and
> rotate the rectangle, if I then want to change the cplane I
> am unable to snap to the object selected (I have to leave
> "wheel mode")

That will also work now with these new changes. The changes to enable snapping on to an object's points during wheel mode also enable the object to be snapped on to in the cplane placer if you call that up while still within wheel mode.

I think it solves the issue that you're talking about here, please let me know if it doesn't when you get a chance to try it.

Another thing that is slightly different than before is that when you rotate an object with wheel mode, the original object position will be visible with the dashed wireframe type display same as the Rotate command, so that you can target snap points on the original object for the final rotation point. If you do the cplane edit, the cplane points can be snapped on to either object - the original wireframe one or the one in the new position.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2243.18 In reply to 2243.16 
""but it kind of had a jumpy feel to it that seemed a bit distracting.""

Maybe a fixed sized (non interactive) that would only change if the user inputs a point?

Marc
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael,

Just an idea that could further enhance this rotation widget if it is possible.
When activating the rotation widget sometimes a particular angle is required, so I was thinking when the wheel is activated a little tab, like the cline tab, will appear and and as the cline tab works you have an option to place an exact angle and maybe number of copies.

---------
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2243.20 In reply to 2243.18 
Hi Marc,

> Maybe a fixed sized (non interactive) that would only
> change if the user inputs a point?

Actually that's the one that I tried that had a kind of jumpy feel since the circle kind of changed suddenly.

I did end up doing the circle changing on every mouse move too kind of accidentally while trying this, that was not quite as jumpy but felt more like you were drawing a circle rather than rotating. That also did not work very well in the "open areas" where there was not a snap point, where if you click down there it will end the wheel mode.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2243.21 In reply to 2243.19 
Hi Danny,

re: particular angle

Actually there is something already for that in the current release - if you type in an angle in the angle constraint box down in the bottom command bar.

For example if you click there and enter "22" then when you rotate it will go in 22 degree increments from the start point of your drag.

It's also possible to enter in an angle by typing without clicking anywhere, by typing <22 - like this:

When you type the first < character, it will put focus into the x,y,z coordinate box where you would normally be able to type in the x,y,z coordinates for something like the endpoint of a line, but if you enter in a value preceded by < that is a shortcut for putting the value in the angle constraint.

So either of those methods will work currently for controlling the rotation angle.

Re: Number of copies - I think for that it would be best to stick with the Transform/Array/Polar tool which can handle that and also a lot of other possible parameters as well. It's great to be able to place a few copies with this tool but trying to make a full pattern with it will pretty quickly just replicate all the UI from that other command I think.

- Michael

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-15  16-21