Fillet, again and again :)

Next
Hi Michael,

If you have some time could you explain me why this kind of shape is so hard to fillet (yellow edge). Everything over 0.2 (circular) failed (and it's really tiny compared to the object scale).
Of course there are other option to create nice blending in this area, but I'm just wondering why is it failling (there are no edge crossing over, and surface to surface blending don't work any better)

Thanks a lot :)

EDITED: 3 Dec 2015 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2211.2 In reply to 2211.1 
Btw a 0.1 circular create some kind of .... line ...

EDITED: 3 Dec 2015 by PAQ

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2211.3 In reply to 2211.1 
Hi PaQ, looks like the surfaces may have some little micro-lumps in them due to some oscillations in fitting mechanisms.

Waves and small lumps tend to make for difficulty with offset surfaces, and it look like it is in the surface/surface intersection calculation of the offset surfaces which is having a problem here.

Here is one of the kind of lumpy spots:

As you increase the radius, it also increases the distance of the offset surface, higher offset tends to magnify wiggles...

Actually I may be able to tune this up somewhat - the main failure happens when getting an excessively dense intersection curve, I may be able to loosen the tolerance somewhat to compensate for that.

Often times though if you have a shape like you've got there where it basically looks like it has fillets in it already, it can be better if those are actual fillets and are separate surfaces instead of one big globbed-together one... A big surface that goes through different sorts of "feature areas" like that tends to oscillate and not be very clean overall right near those areas where it changes in shape kind of abruptly.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2211.4 In reply to 2211.2 
> Btw a 0.1 circular create some kind of .... line ...

That's a bonus line - no extra charge! ;)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2211.5 In reply to 2211.4 
Allright, thanks for the lesson !!!

... and thanks for the free bonus also :o)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All