suggestion, Isolate command
 1-20  21-29

Previous
Next
2201.21 In reply to 2201.20 
Michael,
you are right, forgot about that. I have not been using Moi much lately...

I though an HUD king of text would be easier to see, since your eyes stay focused on the viewport
(especially if you use shortcuts for the Hide or isolate commands)
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2201.22 In reply to 2201.21 
Hi okapi,

> I though an HUD king of text would be easier to see, since
> your eyes stay focused on the viewport

That would be definitely easier to see, but that creates a new problem where it partially interferes with the viewing of the objects inside the viewport.

I try to reserve HUD type text only for things that involve your mouse or a particular 3D point location inside the viewport, like you'll see that kind of text when you do some snaps for example.

Otherwise for general text messages I've tried to place those in that dedicated area off to the side so that the 3D working area can remain uncluttered and unobstructed.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2201.23 In reply to 2201.12 
>> The main other choice that I have to maintain the simple and streamlined UI is to not add in new functions at all...

Heurm ... I vote for new functions :o)

If one day you decide to expand the functions so much that [Alt] click combo is required, I really like the way modo ui handle this, by swichting ui icons on the fly when
the alt key is pressed.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2201.24 In reply to 2201.7 
Hi Michael,

Personally I'm hoping for hide and show to get a lot better with the group/layer/object organisation in V2.

I am hoping to be able to hide and show groups of objects. So I would be able to have construction curves in a separate groups that can be shown or hidden as required. Is this the case?

If so then the current hide/show can remain quite simple. Modo has the same function but is very simple. Hide or show all. Only really used on the fly to get things temporarily out the way. The object organizing system (in modo's case layers and groups) takes care of any other hide show situations.

Your left-click/right click for different functionality (hide/isolate) sounds confusing to me. If they are different commands and you still allow changing the UI as you did for V1, then I would probably try to put them on different icons.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2201.25 In reply to 2201.24 
Hi Tony, well all the functions there are related to hiding some objects, either the selected ones or the unselected ones.

I think it probably won't be a big deal, I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

The big benefit will be that "Show all" will be a more accessible option with this new arrangement. That will likely reduce confusion with the current show mechanism.

The UI is generally going to be the same system v2 as it was for v1 so you'll be able to edit the UI to customize it whichever way you want.

I do plan on having the ability to hide/show groups of objects with the scene browser tree interface as well, it will be a system in addition to this one. That will be great for more complex scenes, but it is important to have a set of basic hide/show abilities without having to go in and set up groups. Having to stop and set up groups can be a kind of annoying and distracting step when you just want to quickly model some basic stuff but still need to hide and show a few objects at a time.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2201.26 In reply to 2201.25 
The UI is generally going to be the same system v2 as it was for v1 so you'll be able to edit the UI to customize it whichever way you want.

I do plan on having the ability to hide/show groups of objects with the scene browser tree interface as well, it will be a system in addition to this one. That will be great for more complex scenes, but it is important to have a set of basic hide/show abilities without having to go in and set up groups. Having to stop and set up groups can be a kind of annoying and distracting step when you just want to quickly model some basic stuff but still need to hide and show a few objects at a time.

This sounds great - thanks Michael.

Regards
Tony

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2201.27 In reply to 2201.20 
I've just found this script. Very useful indeed and exactly what I was looking for.

The problem with the script is that when you unisolate your object it unhides everything rather than just the stuff you had on screen at the time you originally ran isolate.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2201.28 In reply to 2201.27 
Hi Kevin, yeah to restore the previous state like that would require the script to store the state of all the objects somewhere and retrieve it later.

Certainly not impossible, but doing that kind of "persisting data" thing in a script tends to be more difficult.

It should be possible to tune up here in other ways but it isn't something that can be solved just by a simple tweak to the existing script right at the moment.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2201.29 In reply to 2201.28 
No worries Michael.

Look forward to see what you come up with in future releases. Certainly would be a useful command to have in MoI but yeh it definitely needs to restore the current state. Once you get the layering done that will largely solve the need to use isolate anyway.
~Kevin~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-29