surface geometry
All  1  2-6

Previous
Next
2189.2 In reply to 2189.1 
Hi Burr, either method should actually be fine if it produces the same shape that you want.

But I would probably tend to lean towards option b - to fillet afterwards.

That just keeps the boolean calculations to be more simple because there are fewer surfaces being intersected during the boolean operation.

Also some other operations such as shelling can have some difficulty being applied to already filleted objects, so it can just be a good policy in general to try and fillet last rather than earlier.

It's also not unusual to want to fillet some of the edges that are formed only after the boolean, like if you want to fillet the top edges of the pocket as well as the interior parts, like this:

For that you've got to do the boolean first as well.

If you want sharp edges on the top it should be fine either way really but since there are some other kinds of cases that need the filleting to be done later, doing it later is kind of more typical.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2189.3 In reply to 2189.2 
fillet last. I've read you say that before. Not thinking.

Thanks.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2189.4 In reply to 2189.3 
Hi Burr, well really I guess any way that works is fine! :)

But yeah some particular things will work better last so that's not bad to kind of standardize on that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
In most actual manufacturing it is usually done last as well.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2189.6 In reply to 2189.5 
Thanks Grendel. My brother (running the CNC) also prefers to do it with the tooling. I've been trying to show him the value in having a 3d model also to go with a 2d layout with pockets and profiles. Truth is our simple stuff does not require doing things with 3d parts. We dont do any pencil milling type stuff and it would just take longer.

I'm mostly learning from you guy's. When I see something I may wonder about. Like on those big assembly type models some do. I asked it what I saw were mostly "surfaces" to represent plastic "wall parts" or if it was actually modeled with thickness. For instance, with one of your coffe models. Is the pot body actually modeled at 1/16th thick chrome or just a surface to cover that area (If you punch a hole would there be 2 edges per surface or only one?)

Thanks again,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-6