Rotate/Scaling gizmo in the 3d view
All  1  2-11

Previous
Next
2176.2 In reply to 2176.1 
... well seems that I wasn't completely awake this morning :S I never notice this gizmo in the 3d viewport before :P
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2176.3 In reply to 2176.2 
re: rotation wheels in 3d view

Hi PaQ, yup, that's a feature!

When you switch to rotation-wheel mode you get the tri-wheel in the 3D viewport so you can do some rotations around 3 different axes there.

You'll also get the sizing frame in the 3d view when you have selected a planar object.

I've tried to figure out a way to put the sizing frame on a volume (rather than planar) object, but it is not a very good fit since the sizing frame is itself a planar thing. I've tried putting it at the bottom of the object's bounding box, or in the middle, but it seemed kind of weird.

Maybe in the future there can be a separate sub-d style manipulator tool that you could turn on for the 3D view which would be located in the center of the object rather than as an outside frame.

I've also thought about having a "box corners" sizing frame for the 3D view with 8 corners... But I'm not sure where to put the rotation grip and having 8 or 9 things on the screen, some of which would be floating around on the inside of your object (as viewed on the screen) is starting to get to a fair amount of clutter. The great thing about the current 2D sizing frames is that they stay to the outside of your object, keeping the view of the object itself very uncluttered.

In the meantime the current sizing frame has worked out even better than my initial expectations for working inside of the ortho viewports!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2176.4 In reply to 2176.3 
I don't know how I miss it, looks like I don't draw a lot of planar objects in the 3D viewport ^^
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Ooops I miss that too, how do you get it to work, sorry I am d..f...
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2176.6 In reply to 2176.5 
Hi Yannada:

To make that happen you click and release that rotate grip (click it as opposed to holding down and dragging it).

That switches it to wheel mode - while in that mode you can move the center of rotation to a different location.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
now I fill stupid, that will come in handy....thanks
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2176.8 In reply to 2176.7 
Hi Yannada, well it's somewhat hidden since it is a second function of that rotate grip.

Similarly there is a second function for the scaling grips as well - if you click the corner scaling grip instead of drag it, it will flip between scaling from the center or scaling from the opposite corner:

That kind of thing tends to be kind of hidden but it helps to deliver a lot of functionality without making the UI too complex.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hidden secrets :)
---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
yep it all became clear since I new the concept, thanks again.

ps. you clearly have a strong vision to were moi is going thus we should all be careful with what to suggest....
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2176.11 In reply to 2176.10 
Hi yannada,

> ps. you clearly have a strong vision to were moi is going
> thus we should all be careful with what to suggest....

I do have a lot of general ideas but things are not completely set in stone or locked in, I do also get a lot of ideas from suggestions as well!

One thing that tends to be a problem though is that it is pretty easy for someone to make a suggestion which could take me many years of work to accomplish. So sometimes I can tell that a suggestion just is not going to be feasible since it will be beyond my limited resources.

Also another pretty big component of the future "vision" for MoI is actually to try and not mess up the simplicity and character that it has already in the current version...

At any rate, user suggestions have definitely played a big role in many ways, so it is helpful to get them!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1  2-11