Read only mode?
 1-16  17-22

Previous
Next
2169.17 In reply to 2169.16 
Dont I remember you making a script that just jumps straight to the meshing options for someone wanting to do mesh checks while working on the model?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2169.18 In reply to 2169.17 
Hi Burr,

> Dont I remember you making a script that just jumps
> straight to the meshing options for someone wanting
> to do mesh checks while working on the model?

Yup, you can skip the file name dialog by making a shortcut key that runs the SaveAs command and also gives it a filename, like this:
code:
SaveAs c:\test.obj

I actually use that all the time myself to check what the export mesh is going to look like.

But it is not so good for actually writing out files since it uses the same file name every time. For using it to just look at the generated mesh I just cancel the dialog without actually writing the file.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2169.19 In reply to 2169.18 
OIC.

That might be something good to have when you set up that "surface test mode" you were talking about. A temporary switch to the mesh options without actually doing the export. Kind of like a pause, switch view, return like you had mentioned.

You spoke about this here:
http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI&msg=2208.2

EDITED: 3 Dec 2008 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Hi Michael - "Being able to right-click the Save icon and get the export dialog would bring that nice shortcut..."

I was looking for the behavior that Rhino had (which I forget now, it has been a while since I used it) but I believe I was expecting (depending of the previously chosen export format) that it would bring up the Meshing dialog (if that was needed for the format I was exporting to.)

Typically I'm only going to use OBJ or LWO with MOI so for me, going straight to the Mesh dialog would be the point of convenience - for others of course it would be different.

The way you have it now, you request the file name first (resolving any name clashes) and then open the mesher, I believe what I was used to is the opposite (or whatever Rhino did?) - open the mesher, set the params and then resolve the filename as the final step.

It's not a biggy though - I'd rather get my surface names (and making PAQ happy) first before this if it required any serious code changing... ;-)

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2169.21 In reply to 2169.20 
Hi Will, the problem with showing the mesher first is that some file formats are not mesh formats, like .igs, or .stp for example.

So the mesh dialog is not supposed to show for those.

I kind of need to know what file format is going to be used first, before I know whether the mesh dialog is actually going to be needed or not.

I'm pretty sure that Rhino works in the same way, since it also can export to some formats that are mesh formats and some that are NURBS formats.

But Rhino does have a "Mesh" command which you can run which constructs a mesh object in the current file that does not involve saving to a file at all... Maybe that is what you are remembering from Rhino? MoI does not currently work with mesh objects directly in the model, so that is not an easy thing to add into MoI right now.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2169.22 In reply to 2169.21 
Hi Michael, I understand all of this, that's why I had said depending on the export format selected.

I believe I still have my Rhino v2 installed on my desktop so I'll give the Save icon a right-click and see what happens to refresh my memory the next time I'm in my office...

But like I had said, the way it is now is fine since it remembers the export format that was chosen previously.

-Will
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-16  17-22