Meaningful Shortcut Keys Listing.
 1-20  21-40  41-50

Previous
Next
2134.41 In reply to 2134.40 
Burr
Sorry if this sounds a bit thick in the head--or even if I can explain clearly.

Just in relation to the lights in the js scripts folder from the zip.

In My shortcuts I have Ctrl+L Add Light. I presume these are additions.

From my Z key I get the Plugins Gallery which shows, I presume, the lights in your zip?
A. Should that item be in the plugins list? The suggested key strokes do not work any way!
B. However, I presume those keystroke suggestions (by Petr?) would be the best ones to use (with the items in your list) as I guess he is trying to keep a non duplicating list of keystroke allocations.

It's all just so complicated.

Brian

ps
And I just saw this, also nominated for the z key? It really is all out of logical control as far as I can logically work with!

ZoomArea – trigger the area zoom on the viewport that the mouse is over.
Z script:var v = moi.ui.getActiveViewport(); if ( v ) v.interactiveViewChange('zoomarea');

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2134.42 In reply to 2134.41 
Brian,
There is nothing different with those scripts in the zip file. You already have all of those and use them. For instance. The light scripts are the same as the f1 f2 f3 f4 from the plug in gallery.

Lets seperate a couple of things first.

Without thinking of the plugin gallery......Here is a description of 2 things. A "Script" and a "Command"

a "script" is when you see Michael write one of those long custom things that do something specific that someone requested. Like "how do I change the light direction?" Michael wrote a script to do this:

script:var dir = moi.view.lightDirection; if ( dir.x == 1 && dir.y == 1 && dir.z == -1 ) { dir.set(1,1,-1); } else { dir.set(1,1,-1); } moi.view.lightDirection = dir;

A "command" is a more complicated operation bundled up into a single file. Most likely sevral lines of stuff like you see above in the script example. Petr wrote one called Nudge.js

The shortcut key is fully customizable for either of these. They are "whatever you want!"

This is done in MoI-options-shortcut keys. (I know you know this so follow here)

The difference is:
1. when you set a shortcut key for a "script", in the right side called command you have to type the big long script string michael posts in the forum.

2. When you set a shortcut key for a "command" the only thing you have to type in the right side is the name of the file. "Nudge"

What I provided is a way for you to put a "script" (the big long horrible looking thing that nobody understands) into a command that can be named anything you want! to type into that right side area of the shortcut editor.

Anytime a "shortcut key" is provided by me or petr it is only there for setup reasons. you can change it to whatever you want.

The "plugin Gallery" is a tool that is used to bypass all of this and work with whats called a GUI ( Graphical User Interface) All the code and shortcut key stuff is hidden inside of one file and you can just click on a picture to do what you want.

So just to answer specifically:
["From my Z key I get the Plugins Gallery which shows, I presume, the lights in your zip?"] YES

["A. Should that item be in the plugins list? The suggested key strokes do not work any way!"] NO, These are all duplicates of what you already have. They are just a means for you to name the command whatever you want.

["B. However, I presume those keystroke suggestions (by Petr?) would be the best ones to use (with the items in your list) as I guess he is trying to keep a non duplicating list of keystroke allocations."] The keystokes are totally customized by YOU! We all use whatever we like. You make your keystrokes anything you want without regard to what I may think. Does that make sense?

I will make a video that trys to clarify this as I can speak in my video.

To recap:
There are no new scripts in the files I sent you. Just a "method" to use your existing and future scripts. So the next time you see Michael post something cool for someone that you may want, say a script that makes "pudding", you can refer to this video and copy that script into a file and name it whatever you want, like "pudding.js" then refer to that file when you make a shortcut for the new script ( instead of having to type the big long ugly thing that he posts)

I just bought a new microphone today that I need to try out. I'll make a short demo later and post it for you to see what I mean.

Hang in there.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2134.43 In reply to 2134.42 
Burr
(You know how appreciative of your help that I am.)

The length of that response seems to highlight what I have been trying to convey!
Why should the average user of MoI have to even think about all that complexity?

I have printed out that post and will, hopefully!, make some sense of it overnight.

I am tearing my hair out------I hope the movie helps!

(I still can not get over that Z up only for doing a sweep on a Helix--that Michael intends to make more user friendly----- are some of the, to me, simple things that are still illogical in some of the MoI operations!)

ps. I am on the oxy bottle and having couple of bad days-----forgive me if I seem a bigger grump than usual. (Still/again/pita etc)

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2134.44 In reply to 2134.43 
Burr

Here's a starting thought----" Lets separate a couple of things first."

Why would the average user of MoI (any app) NEED to know the difference between a "script" and a "Command" in the first place?

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2134.45 In reply to 2134.44 
Hi Brian,

> Why would the average user of MoI (any app) NEED to know
> the difference between a "script" and a "Command" in the first place?

There is generally not any need to worry about it unless you want to set things up in a special way.

The more normal way to set things up, you just paste in any custom script into a keyboard shortcut and once you do that it will be run as an immediate script which does not cancel any currently running command.

Maybe it would be best to just leave your keyboard shortcuts how they were before? It just seems like you are running into more problems now than you were with the previous setup...

Don't get me wrong - you are definitely correct that the whole system has some confusing parts.

I would definitely like to improve the system in the future!

But I only have a limited amount of time to work on different features.

Right now making the keyboard shortcut UI more beautiful is just not a very high priority because the majority of people go in there and set things up once, and don't really worry about it so much after that. Other areas that are used on a more frequent basis just need to have a higher priority right now.

I wish I could make everything get improved all at once! But I haven't found a good way to make that happen yet... :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2134.46 In reply to 2134.45 
Brian,
I'm going to take Michaels advice and stop here.

I think you are like me in that all this stuff you see go by is something you beleive you're missing.

The Plugin Gallery you use has "ALL" the extra's that Petr has created for MoI. you're missing nothing!

All the other stuff you see is just tinkering.

I fear my communication skills, trying to explain the hypotenuse of the jib just make it worse for anybody listening!

My interest is that you can keep any of the customizations you have made through to the next release.

Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2134.47 In reply to 2134.46 
Also, If you were to PM me your phone number I would call you. Either we could get on the same page or just have a nice chat.

Take care,
Burr
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2134.48 In reply to 2134.47 
Thank you both.

Burr, not having good health at the moment.
Maybe a good idea to let things be untill the next beta?
Appreciate the offer for direct contact--maybe later.

I think I have been spoilt a bit with all the many free plugins and "Actions" for Photoshop.
The simplicity af creating new Actions in PShop---and, as with Carrara, no fancy scripting type language.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2134.49 In reply to 2134.48 
Brian - Best wishes for you to get over this rough patch with your health soon!

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2134.50 In reply to 2134.49 
Thanks Michael.
At 76 and with severe COPD--oxy bottle--and arthur--I live from day to day.
I will, at any time, be likely to drop off the perch. (A relief to many!)

Within my limits, I am having great fun thanks to the computer and MoI!

I have no complaints about my life.

Brian
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-40  41-50