Object properties progress
 1-19  20-39  40-57

Previous
Next
2127.40 In reply to 2127.39 
These are the four pull out panels in Hexagon. Similar to Carrara.

Brian

EDITED: 31 Dec 2008 by BWTR

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Thanks for the reply Michael, I see where you are coming from.

>>That would be cool... But hiding UI and re-using existing space is really needed to keep the UI streamlined and easy to use. There are some
>> sacrifices that have to be made that go along with that though.

Then, can I make a feature request for tear off panels please?

I have 2 21" screens here and MoI is limited to only one of them. Modo, Photoshop, etc, let me drag panels out of the main interface and onto the other screen so they don't clutter the main window.

It would be great to be able to leave the advanced tools and stuff on the second screen for speed of access. Especially the proposed browser panel.

Carrara suffers from the same problem. Won't let me pull the panels out onto the second screen.

Thanks for listening.

Regards
Tony

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.42 In reply to 2127.33 
Hi Michael

Thanks for explaining..
The active style property and others you described sounds great!
i'll look foward to trying the system out when its available.

cheers
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.43 In reply to 2127.41 
Hi Tony,

I was thinking some more about what you had written previously. Maybe instead of trying to cram a bunch of editing directly in there, maybe one possibility is to have some display-only information added to the top level.

Like for example:

To edit the size you would still go to Details to put up the full dialog, and the full dialog would have a lot of additional stuff on it like center point, etc...

For a circle or arc instead of Size: it could show Radius: there, and for a line it could show Length:

That could possibly give some of the most basic information up there at the top level.

> Then, can I make a feature request for tear off panels please?

I would definitely like to have those. Unfortunately it will take a substantial amount of work to make that happen, it is just not going to be feasible anytime too soon.

Early on in the development of MoI it was apparent that it would be very time consuming to attempt to do drag/drop type dynamic UI editing at the same time as trying to refine and develop just one UI to be as good as I could make it. I did not have enough time to pursue both, and I ended up choosing the latter.

At some point in the future maybe I will be able to do a major overhaul of the underlying UI mechanism and be able to add tear off / rearranging and docking of panels at that time, but that will be somewhere down the road a ways.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.44 In reply to 2127.43 
Sounds good Michael, any extra info on size and/or position is useful.

I understand that a movable UI is a lot of work for one man - even you ;-)

A question just occured to me. Will all this new stuff be as configurable as V1 was? If so then I can tweak the interface again to suit my needs as I did for version 1.

Regards
Tony

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.45 In reply to 2127.44 
Hi Tony,

> Sounds good Michael, any extra info on size and/or position is useful.

One thing that I don't quite follow is the position part.

A general object doesn't particularly have a single special "position" point on it... Like for example what would you say is the position of this object:

Is it the center point of the curve's bounding box? I don't quite understand why you would want to know what that point is at the top level of the UI all the time (as opposed to on a secondary dialog), I mean it is not on any part of the definition of the curve...

> I understand that a movable UI is a lot of work for
> one man - even you ;-)

:) Yup, a lot of work is a lot of work for anyone!

One thing that tends to help keep me reasonably efficient is to kind of pick my battles a bit carefully and try to stay away from areas that would require quite a lot of sustained work.

One area that is particularly difficult with movable UI is to try and handle docking of different sized panels or toolbars adjacent to one another.

It may be possible in the future for me to focus on something more limited than that, like only being able to tear off large panels that take up a whole edge of something rather than trying to stack small pieces together. But even that will probably be a ways out.

> A question just occured to me. Will all this new stuff be as
> configurable as V1 was?

My current version is not too flexible, it depends on specific elements being present in the UI and those controls being updated more directly from the back-end code.

But I should be able to revamp this pretty easily to be much more flexible, so that some script code in the UI will get a notification to update and that script code can be more responsible for dealing directly with the UI controls.

That should help with customization a lot, but it still requires some cooperation from the back-end as far as what properties and values are available to be accessed by the script code.

It would make it pretty easy to add something like a bounding box center point at the top level if you want though.

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.46 In reply to 2127.45 
Hi Michael...

When I can use object properties ?

-anis
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.47 In reply to 2127.16 
Hi Michael,

The object properties panel idea looks great.

For another object organization example, Xara has a simple naming concept, having cross-grouping functionality.

In the example, I have assigned the name "two rectangles" on two gray rectangles. (See picture)

When I select only one of them of them, only half of the red circle displays next to the name shows. If I click on the empty circle next to the name tag, the corresponding objects will be selected.

I could have created another name tag with the magenta rectangle and one of the grey ones.

The name gallery also serves as a selection filter as it contains many parameters of existing objects in the current file. For example, if I were to click on arial, all the text of this type would be selected.

This is a relatively misunderstood feature in Xara and few people use it as I understand it.
But I found it quite a good idea and it widely surpass layers as an organization concept.

Marc

Image Attachments:
Size: 153.6 KB, Downloaded: 49 times, Dimensions: 800x560px
Size: 156.5 KB, Downloaded: 30 times, Dimensions: 800x559px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.48 In reply to 2127.43 
>>I have 2 21" screens here and MoI is limited to only one of them. Modo, Photoshop, etc, let me drag panels out of
>>the main interface and onto the other screen so they don't clutter the main window.

For two monitor people here is a possibility.

There is the optional left side panel which possibly extends the full depth of the MoI window. When the MoI window is extended partially onto the left hand monitor, that left panel will be on the left monitor.

I'm really thinking of the way the UI works in Blender...any arrangement of multiple windows can be set up within the main UI which can then be stretched over multiple displays. So the UI can be simple or busy as you like.

>>It may be possible in the future for me to focus on something more limited than that, like only being
>>able to tear off large panels that take up a whole edge of something rather than trying to stack small
>>pieces together. But even that will probably be a ways out.

May be worth taking a look at the Blender UI.

EDITED: 4 Nov 2008 by STEEVE

Image Attachments:
Size: 187.5 KB, Downloaded: 30 times, Dimensions: 1440x900px
Size: 186.5 KB, Downloaded: 29 times, Dimensions: 1440x900px
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.49 In reply to 2127.45 
Hello Michael,

>One thing that I don't quite follow is the position part.

>>A general object doesn't particularly have a single special "position" point on it... Like for example what would you say is >>the position of this object:

Well of course you've picked the one object where having this info doesn't help much :-)

My thoughts on this come from using software that has propeties panels like CoreDraw a lot. In CorelDraw there is a properties panel that let's you both see and change parameters for whatever object is selected. It has size, position, scale, and various other parameters that change depending on the selection.

I use it for accurate placement and visually checking of construction lines, text, boxes and circles/ellipses. So I quickly drag a construction line onto the page which puts it at say -39.3897 mm. then type 40 in the x position box and it will move to exactly x= 40 mm.

Create a box at x 30, y 50 (centre) then I can move it 10 to the right by typing 40 in the x coord field. Easy, quick and accurate without eyeballing it, or counting the grid squares or finding out later that I overshot slightly on my grid that was set up for 0.25 mm on the last drawing ;-)

Before the properties panel was introduced I used grids, construction lines or sometimes even drew another item and used that. Now I use the properties panel almost exclusively to do this kind of manipulation.

If I can't see the position or size then I can't act upon them. And is best if I can type the desired value right there in the field.

Carrara has a similar properties panel but in 3 dimensions, it also includes seperate fields for the hot point. This is very useful when placing objects in relation to other ones. I use it quite a bit to check placement of trees on the ground for example.

Also check out Silo 2 for a similar thing - they call it the numerical editor but it does the same job and includes position, rotation, scale, and size.

Modo has an editable properties panel for position, rotation and scale but not for size. I wish it did have size and it is an often requested feature on the Luxology forums to be able to define the size of an item in the propeties panel as well as the other parameters.

IMHO it makes positioning and re-sizing objects faster and more accurate that dragging with the mouse/pen. Or one can use a combination depending on the situation.

MoI didn't have this facility and I missed it. But it was a V1 and there was more to come. When you talked about properties I was very pleased that this was coming but it is not what I expected :-(

I hope this explains better where I'm coming from on this subject.

Regards
Tony

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.50 In reply to 2127.48 
>>For two monitor people here is a possibility.

>>There is the optional left side panel which possibly extends the full depth of the MoI window. When the MoI window is >>extended partially onto the left hand monitor, that left panel will be on the left monitor.

Is is an idea Steve, and in fact is what I do at the moment. But if the PC is locked then, when I unlock it, the windows are back on one screen only again and then I have to re-size back onto the second one again :-(

If you know of a way to stop this happening then i would love to know it :-)

Regards
Tony

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.51 In reply to 2127.50 
Hi Tony,

> But if the PC is locked then, when I unlock it, the windows are
> back on one screen only again and then I have to re-size back
> onto the second one again :-(

I don't think there is anything in MoI itself that is doing this... I just gave it a try over here and that doesn't seem to happen here.

My guess is that you've got some kind of multi-monitor "helping" software running that is making that happen.

Try looking in your system tray and see if there is anything in there that says "multimon" or something along those lines, you may be able to disable it or tell it to avoid messing with MoI.exe .

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.52 In reply to 2127.46 
Hi Anis,

> When I can use object properties ?

Just as soon as I have finished coding it! :)

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.53 In reply to 2127.50 
Yeah Tony, I don't have that happening either...and when I close MoI, it opens again the way I left it.

How do you currently spread MoI across 2 screens? do you put Top and Front on the left and the other two on the right?
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.54 In reply to 2127.47 
Hi Marc, thanks for the feedback re: Xara.

I actually did spend some time looking at Xara about properties, although I was not aware of that name gallery part which is pretty cool.

It was after looking through Xara some that I was starting to notice a pattern of "named style" type batched properties (in Xara I think this a "named color") being kind of grafted on to various programs in addition to individual property editing more directly on an object.

I think historically editing individual properties directly on an object came first, and then later on "named styles" get added to try and make it easier to update a batch of objects just by editing one style template.

That kind of convinced me to try and emphasize the "named style" or "property template" type approach more as the main way to do things...

And yes - enabling a kind of "select by style" mechanism allows styling to be used as another kind of batching or organizing concept. It will be a kind of parallel organization system in a certain sense to the grouping mechanism.

In fact, I was thinking that it may be a good idea to let you choose what is exported as a "layer" to other formats - whether it should be the grouping structure, or whether it should be by visual style...

The way it is turning out for MoI I think is the "grouping" is a more structural and hierarchical thing and will be more focused on operating on a batch of objects for hiding and showing things.

Then styling is for visual appearance.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.55 In reply to 2127.53 
Michael, Steve,

I just drag the panels bit out onto the other screen leaving the viewports on the left and the panels on right screen. I like to still see some of the desktop and have icons and shortcuts arranged so they aren't covered.

I don't remember this happening until I started locking my PC. Screen saver didn't change anything. So, yes, must be something with my setup. I must have a look at the NVIDIA controls to see if anything is set for this.

Cheers.

Regards
Tony

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2127.56 In reply to 2127.55 
Hi Tony - nVidia has a kind of multi-monitor helper app called nView which is probably running on your machine.

I'm pretty sure that is the thing moving MoI's window around.

On this nView feature page here
http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_8400.html :

quote:

Window Management

* Window control and repositioning
  • Prevent windows from opening off-screen
  • Enable/disable window from spanning across displays
  • Snap windows to display edges
  • Open windows on a specific screen

* Dialog box repositioning

Probably in your system tray there may be a little icon which says "Nview" when you move over it, you can probably click, double-click, or right-click on that to get at some options.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2127.57 In reply to 2127.56 
Well I've been through all my nvidia settings and nothing changes the behaviour. I've had nview on and off. I found the setting:

>> Enable/disable window from spanning across displays

but this just stops windows from going onto the second monitor if off or allows them to be dragged if on. I have no problem dragging the window to the second screen.

My only problem comes if I lock the computer - either with 'Windows Key + L' or when the screensaver kicks in.

Screensaver with no lock/password keeps the window where it should be, partially over onto the second screen. On the other hand, panels/palletes from Photoshop, Fireworks and Modo stay where they should be.

So I'm stumped. It's like the system treats a locked system as different from an unlocked one and wants to put the windows back on the monitor they were opened on. Very strange but I suspect is a quirk of my system. Perhaps an update to the drivers will help - but I'll leave that for another day :-)

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Regards
Tony

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-19  20-39  40-57