error message "Unable to create Direct3D9 device"

Next
When I start MOI under XP I get the error message "Unable to create Direct3D9 device".
Same error for V1 and V2 under XP. No problem when starting under Vista.
Any suggestions for solving this problem?
thanks in advance
Jotell
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2124.2 In reply to 2124.1 
Hi Jotell, have you turned off hardware acceleration in XP for some kind of compatibility with another program? I've heard from a few people who turned it off for some reason (like to use a certain kind of screen recorder, etc...) and then forgot to re-enable it, which is one thing that will result in that error message. The other thing that can cause it is if you have a very old video card that does not support the base 3D features that MoI needs to run, but I don't think that is the case for your situation if you can run fine with the same machine under Vista.

One thing you can try is go to Start / Run and type in dxdiag.exe

That will run the "DirectX Diagnostic Tool". Go to the Display tab and there is a button there labeled "Test Direct3D" which you can use to run some basic tests to see if the Direct3D system is working or not. There is also a button there for enabling Direct3D Acceleration if it has been disabled for some reason. If it is something that was disabled in the driver settings you may need to go back to the driver settings to enable it again though.

Hopefully that may help,

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2124.3 In reply to 2124.2 
Hi Michael, Thank you for your quick and helpful reply.
I was not aware that hardware acceleration was disabled on this machine (, which I use for my hotwire foam cutting system too).
I had tried MOI under Vista on another machine, when I got the error message on the machine running under XP.
Thanks again and best regards
Jotell
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2124.4 In reply to 2124.3 
Hi Jotell, is your problem solved then?

Since it is not the same machine like I had thought, it is also possible that your XP machine just does not have a recent enough 3D graphics card in it to run MoI.

MoI does not need a very fancy video card to run, but if you have one that is more than about 5 or 6 years old it may not have enough functionality to do the 3D graphics work that MoI relies on.

Some of the machines that are set up as controllers for specialized hardware can often be very minimally equipped and may need to be upgraded to have a somewhat newer 3D capable video card in them in order to run MoI. There are several video cards even down around the $20-$30 dollar range that will actually do the job...

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2124.5 In reply to 2124.4 
Hi Michael, Thank you for following up on my problem, which is now solved (I found the place where to enable the hardware acceleration).
best regards
Jotell
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2124.6 In reply to 2124.4 
Hi Michael

Just to confirm, I've just received this same error and it was as you said because I had turned off h/ware acceleration (to record a video in fact)

Steve
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2124.7 In reply to 2124.6 
Hi Jotell & Steve - I've updated this message for future builds to give a bit better clue on what might be wrong.

It will now say:

Unable to create Direct3D9 device.
Possibly an unsupported older video card, or hardware acceleration is disabled.
Check Control Panel / Display / Settings / Advanced / Troubleshoot

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All