Initial stages of product? I like it. Version 9? I will hate it.
 1-20  21-25

Previous
Next
211.21 In reply to 211.20 
A better diagram of the second example:

So knowing the center 1, pt 2, and point 3, and angle 2-1-3 ( oops, typo in my prev post ), we can construct a arc of the ellipse that passes through 2 & 3.

In both cases, the center of the ellipse is always in the proper place!

Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
211.22 In reply to 211.21 
I see - before I thought you were talking about doing something special for quarter-arcs.

I suppose this is possible - the command would have to be modified a bit because right now you don't actually have to pick 3 points, you can just do the first 2 and then enter an angle without picking a 3rd - this wouldn't be valid for the elliptical style.

I'll try to take a look at it tomorrow.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
211.23 In reply to 211.21 
Hi Crusoe - elliptical arcs will be in the next beta. Here is what it looks like:

There will be an "Elliptical" checkbox for Arc/Center. If you check it, the angle box is hidden and an elliptical arc is created as you described.

This does have some cool properties, since the elliptical arc will actually start and end on the points you pick, unlike a circular arc which uses the ending point as the angle which will only touch there if the point you pick is at the arc's radius.

It is also easy to do 90 degree elliptical arcs.

There are some slightly odd things as well, like you can't do a 180 degree elliptical arc because when the points are lined up in a straight line it doesn't have any way to calculate the length of the other ellipse axis. And it kind of oscillates in a bit of a strange manner as you trace the mouse around the center point. But that's ok.

I don't think it will be possible to make any of the other arc commands do ellipses, since there are not unique solutions to many of them. For instance you can't do an ellipse through 3 points because there are multiple possible ellipses that can fit through 3 points. But Arc/Center works because nailing down the center point and first ellipse axis length nails down the constraints enough.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Michael
Attachments:

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next

Little question
When you choice one surface inclined, and make extrusion (by default) : seems that is folowing the "Normal"
When you choice 2 surfaces with 2 different inclinaisons, and make extrusion (by default) :
seems that "Normal" of each surface are replaced by "Vertical" is that "normal" ? :)

---
Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
My Gallery

EDITED: 23 Jan 2007 by PILOU

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
211.25 In reply to 211.24 
Hi Pilou, re: extrusion direction

This is a limitation of the current extrusion command - it only knows how to extrude in one direction at a time.

Eventually I would like to enable multiple-object extrusion where each object extrudes by default along its own normal. But that was a bit more difficult (especially with the mouse interaction, there would be sort of multiple possible tracking lines), so when I was working on extrude I postponed that until some later version.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages:  1-20  21-25