Fillet
All  1-6  7-13

Previous
Next
2079.7 In reply to 2079.6 
Hi Danny,

> I guess it's for sheet to sheet fillet situation, is that right ?

I'm not sure which kind of fillet is the sheet to sheet kind, but previously if there was any problem with handling the ends of the fillet surface the whole fillet would fail.

I think one of the most common ones was trying to intersect the fillet with a kind of "side wall" surface but not getting a clean intersection, possibly due to shallow intersecting angles or something like that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2079.8 In reply to 2079.7 
What I mean by sheet to sheet Michael, is when the model is separated or will this fix work on solids also ?

---------
~Danny~
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2079.9 In reply to 2079.8 
Hi Danny - there are some tune-ups for tolerating errors in both surface/surface filleting as well as edge-based filleting.

But there is a lot more opportunity for errors in the edge-based (solid) one since it does a lot more kinds of corner building and trimming type things, so it will have a bigger impact on that.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2079.10 In reply to 2079.8 
I know you always shy away from the "two options for one" question, but having the fillet'r "fail" if the result is not "correct" may be good for someone that doesnt know how to do this stuff. ie; If the fillet'r goes ahead and makes this surface that needs to be low level trimmed, the newb will make a model that doesnt work and wont know why. Danny for instance, may want this and know when/how to fix things up. Burr for instance, will need multiple posts from Michael, explaining tangency and then starting from scratch instead of figuriung out something is wrong from the begining. Being able to enable or disable the fillet'rs "ability" could suit the "easy for beginer" mission of MoI. (advocate is to many options becomes rhino).
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2079.11 In reply to 2079.10 
Hi Burr, well the alternative to not doing this for fillet is for nothing to happen at all... Which is not exactly a very great alternative for a beginner as well.

As time goes on hopefully I can make more and more adjustments to try and solve some of the most frequently encountered problems more automatically. For example automatically correcting tangents that are within say 5 degrees of being smooth to be tweaked to be fully smooth would clear up one category of problems.

It is a general goal for MoI to make it more friendly and productive for novices by trying to handle some of these details for you with less expert knowledge required... The overall UI has helped go in that direction a lot already, but there will still be a lot more steps taken towards that as time goes on.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
Next
2079.12 In reply to 2079.11 
That's a great improvement to the filleter for (user) error handling. It exposes the problem area for the filleter for on thing, that's how you learn as a 'newb'.

Thanks Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2079.13 In reply to 2079.11 
I was kindof suggesting the ability to do "BOTH". As the fillet'r is now, "super finiky", if you dont do a proper curve it doesnt fillet. As a newcomer, this had me review what I have done, search the forum, read up on fillet. Danny on the other hand, has a good grasp of fillet, knows how to push it and what that entails, and how to fix the less than optimal results, he needs these to go through as you have done. As pertaining to the newb, he will now end up with this:

And wont know why or how to fix it.

Almost like a tolerance setting for the fillet. 100%=only fillet perfect scenario. 10%=throw surfaces all over the place and let the user cut, trim, move and join away! :)

Talk to you later.

EDITED: 19 Jun 2012 by BURRMAN

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-6  7-13