All  1-4  5-7

Previous
Next
2074.5 In reply to 2074.4 
Hi Steve,

> Part of the problem could be that I work in mm...I read somewhere
> that that will increase file size, because of the bigger numerical
> values involved (or something)

Yeah, that can be a problem. The deal is that regardless of what unit system you are working in (like whether it is inches, mm, whatever), many operations are carried out to a precision of 0.001 in that unit system.

If you have an object that is say 10,000 units in size, then 0.001 units is a very small fraction of its size, having operations fit to that degree of accuracy will tend to generate denser results, as things continue to refine calculations until they get to that degree of accuracy. Also it will take longer for calculations to complete as well.

So it tends to be best not to create things that are more than say 3,000 units in size or so. If you are creating a lot of objects like that you will probably need to switch to cm instead of mm.

I am working on improving this though, to move calculations to a more adaptive type of target accuracy that is based on a fraction of the size of the object instead of just a hard-coded 0.001 value. It will be a bit before this gets applied to all commands, it has been applied to a couple of them already so far though, like Join and Network.

When more commands are moved over to use the adaptive tolerance it should help to greatly reduce this problem.

- Michael
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
Mark as unread Mark as unread
Relationship Relationship
IP Logged

Previous
Next
Steve,
if it makes you feel any better, I couldn't fit my 4th year capstone project on a CD, that was in 2005.

Adam.
  Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Previous
2074.7 In reply to 2074.6 
Thanks, Adam ,that is comforting:)

PS that must have been quite a capstone project. What were you modeling? Can we see it

EDITED: 15 Oct 2008 by STEEVE

Reply Reply More Options
Post Options
Reply as PM Reply as PM
Print Print
IP Logged

Reply to All Reply to All

Show messages: All  1-4  5-7